OSC Halp! (Muse 2 EEG + Mind Monitor OSC)

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
lightbrush
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

OSC Halp! (Muse 2 EEG + Mind Monitor OSC)

Post by lightbrush »

Hi everyone! I'm on the struggle bus getting OSC to work, and hoping for some help! Here's what I have cooking.

I'm using a Muse 2 EEG headset and Mind Monitor app https://mind-monitor.com/ for iPhone to send OSC messages. These are being received by Arena, as I can see in the OSC preferences. I just can't get anything to happen from there. I've tried mapping it to different effects, and tried changing the send address to different effects, but nothing happens.

My best guess is that the data coming in doesn't match float, or is too small/needs converted before coming into Resolume.

Does anyone have experience with this, or some insight? I'm downloading Touch Designer now for my first adventures into that possibility.

Thanks so much for the halp!

Moe

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: OSC Halp! (Muse 2 EEG + Mind Monitor OSC)

Post by Arvol »

upload a picture of the OSC monitor in Arena to show us what the incoming messages look like (probably formatting issues). Thanks

MarkyMark
Team Resolume

Post by MarkyMark »

I did something similar back in my Art School days. Though we didn't use any app like mind-monitor.
As I remember correctly we got the serial data directly from the Muse.
Thoses values are really low and very long as the device works with microscopic changes in voltage. So both you and Arvol could be on the right track about the formatting.

My suggestion would be to use something like Processing to get the serial data in, see whats "wrong" and map it to proper OSC messages yourself.

lightbrush

Post by lightbrush »

Awesome, thanks so much! I'm digging into Processing now, but here's a Screenshot. It seems there are a lot of different values coming in, and that I definitely need to preprocess the data somehow, I would guess. Muse has its own MuseLab program where you can receive and output OSC, and choose which values. I've been trying to play with that, but haven't gotten right yet either. I appreciate the assistance!

Moe
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qJuGB ... TEk7bvJ5L/

lightbrush

Post by lightbrush »

Using MuseLab, I think I have been able to get a handle on the data being sent to Resolume, but still can't get the actual effect to do anything. Getting closer, I think!

Here's another screenshot

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vMxEB3 ... sp=sharing

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

That second screenshot looks normal. that first one was formatted wrong. Is it working now?

lightbrush

Post by lightbrush »

Not yet! Still nothing happens to the actual effect. It honestly feels like I'm missing a basic step or something activate it. Everything else feels like it's happening as it should.

-Moe

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Maybe start small with the composition master slider and a single float. Can you get that to work?

https://streamable.com/buprz0

badpedestrian

Post by badpedestrian »

hey any one ever get anywhere with being able to take the data coming from an EEG headset and associating a visual to that information? people seem to use touch for this, was wondering if theres a workaround in arena or wire