advanced OSC out

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: advanced OSC out

Post by Rene »

goto10 wrote:Clip names are actually already being sent.
You are right, however I was asking to send the GIVEN names of a clip. Sometimes I change the name according to applied effects, or just imagine "Effect Clip" or "Source". Right now I see no way to uniquely identify such clips in Lemur.

However I also understand your thoughts on OSC out becoming a big, messy, bulky thing. I like the idea of excluding some parameters for OSC out, or maybe lower the refresh rate for OSC out?

Did you already think on not publishing every parameter everytime by default (push), instead introduce some kind of OSC API, which allows the OSC client to actively ask (pull) for some values. I have no idea if this would be standard conform at all?

e.g. the query: /r4api/layer1/activeclip/givenname/get
response: /layer1/activeclip/givenname "Circles - blue.mov"

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: advanced OSC out

Post by sleepytom »

goto10 wrote:Clip names are actually already being sent.

At the moment, the direction where we should take OSC output is a bit up in the air. Trying to send out every possible little thing is turning into a big mess, so we're first going to take some time to re-think before we add more.
Amen to that! I'd very much like to see the active clip status info output as an array on a single address pattern (or possibly one for each layer) This would make keeping track of resolume's status an awful lot easier and more reliable than trying to filter the flood of messages which currently come out.

Perhaps it would be possible to have the majority of messages off be default, with the ability to turn on specific messages via an OSC command? That way you could make OSC control interfaces which would transport between machines, each time they connect to a composition they send some OSC containing details of which outgoing message are required.

Generally fewer address patterns to check would be good, its far easier to deal with arrays of data than to have to filter for multiple address patterns.

cheers
tom