advanced OSC out

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
Rene
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

advanced OSC out

Post by Rene »

Could you please consider to add OSC out for all parameters which are controlled by (a single) dial? Right now there is visual feedback in the UI, but it seems that there are no OSC out messages. (edited)

Also the AV slider (between the A and V silders) next to the transition selectors is not sent via OSC.
Last edited by Rene on Wed Mar 21, 2012 21:40, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: advanced OSC out

Post by Joris »

Could you please consider to add OSC out for all parameters which are controlled by (a single) dial? Right now there is visual feedback in the UI, but it seems that there are no OSC out messages.
Are you talking about the dashboard dial? I get the following OSC output when I link two parameters to a single dial:
/composition/video/effect1/param2/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
/composition/video/effect1/param1/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
/composition/link1/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
Also the AV slider (between the A and V silders) next to the transition selectors is not sent via OSC.
Good catch. Ticket made.

Rene

Post by Rene »

goto10 wrote:/composition/video/effect1/param2/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
/composition/video/effect1/param1/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
/composition/link1/values : <OSCVal f 0.628000>
It seems that I missed something. Now it works (also with Lemur) - sorry for wasting your time Joris!

Okay, so I feel like I have to post another bug instead... :twisted:
  1. go to your desktop and rename any clip (tried with mov and png) include a Umlaut (e.g. ä) to the file like "A clip with Käsebrot and here the first characters will disappear"
  2. drag the file from the desktop to Arena
  3. The interface will show something like "A clip with Käsebrot nd ere he irst haracter ill isappear", however the input box (where you can change the name) will show the correct filename.
I tried to enable/disable unicode (and restart Arena) --> no change.

By the way, I'm not sure, I think I requested this some time ago, but can you please send via OSC the given name instead of the original filename? Especially with (re)named EffectClips this would be very valuable!

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Good catch again, although I don't really want to know why you had a clip with the word "Käsebrot" in it in the first place ;-)

Sending 'given name' via OSC is on the to-do list, although it is low priority at the moment.
The reason this is not turned on, is because it creates a funny feedback loop. If the AV slider value would be sent, the controller (i.e. the Lemur) would then send the AV slider value in return. This would cause the A and V sliders to be updated to the AV position, which was probably halfway between the A and V sliders and etc etc etc.... Long story short, it's not an easy fix as you would expect, but we'll get on it.

Rene

Post by Rene »

goto10 wrote:Good catch again, although I don't really want to know why you had a clip with the word "Käsebrot" in it in the first place ;-)
Enjoy! Helge Schneider - Käsebrot
goto10 wrote:Sending 'given name' via OSC is on the to-do list, although it is low priority at the moment.
Great! - just one thing: please change the "low" to "high" ;)
goto10 wrote:The reason this is not turned on, is because it creates a funny feedback loop. If the AV slider value would be sent, the controller (i.e. the Lemur) would then send the AV slider value in return. This would cause the A and V sliders to be updated to the AV position, which was probably halfway between the A and V sliders and etc etc etc.... Long story short, it's not an easy fix as you would expect, but we'll get on it.
Fortunately you made it out of the loop! But how? - For me a fix for the "given name issue" would be much more important than this one. --> this.setPriority.LOW

Want another one? :mrgreen:

Rene

Post by Rene »

Just found this little "bump topic" button at the bottom. :twisted:

Just wanted to express that "given clip name via OSC out" was on my wish list for Christmas. Just because 10 instances of "Effect Clip" and "Webcam" are not that handy.

Happy 2013! :D

westbam
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by westbam »

Yes, a clip name would be very nice, and once we are requesting: clip length. So you can visualize in your own software how much time there is left for the clip. I know there is an (awesome) position slider, but that is a bit meaningless if you don't know the clip lenght. But a toggle/option to show this information would be also nice, because the OSC stream is already getting rather busy.

sleepytom
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by sleepytom »

+1 for clip names over osc

Can we also have thumbnails please? (Possible with osc blob?) I also would like citp / msex thumbnails for lighting desks.

Joris

Post by Joris »

Clip names are actually already being sent.

At the moment, the direction where we should take OSC output is a bit up in the air. Trying to send out every possible little thing is turning into a big mess, so we're first going to take some time to re-think before we add more.

westbam
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by westbam »

Where are the clip names send to? Have not yet found that one. But I am working via a very messy trial and error method in vvvv, seems some OSC messages behave different than others.

If I know the clip name, I can cross reference with a databse and figure the lenght out (or something).

I understand the big mess adding stuff this way, but an extra menu with toggles to turn stuff on and off can make it clean rather easy ;) Specially for stuff that is not a button, like the slider, timing and names.