Photo Jpeg video?

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
patrickjansen
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Photo Jpeg video?

Post by patrickjansen »

I was wondering, what is the best method of creating "smallest" file size movies (quicktime?) for VJ use?

I'm using After Effects and have been choosing "QuickTime" Output Module - Format Option "Photo Jpeg" - (Quality) "Best", for the 1080p videos, which each are 15 second loop videos. But the resulting quicktime movies range between 211 MB and 904 MB in file size.

Is that normal? If not, is there a way to make them smaller?

Also, which video size(s) are predominantly used by VJs (from the standard sizes 320x240 / 640x480 / PAL / NTSC / 720p / 1080p)?

[]z
P.

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Photo Jpeg video?

Post by cvanhoose »

Resolume calls for the DXV codec. it runs very smooth on my machines(OSX). I use compositions up to 6000x1080px. sizes vary to 1.5gb. Best results are with rendering original to DXV, otherwise you will see a quality difference(artifacts).

Not every 'VJ' uses the same res clips for their shows. IN my case, my content is specific for each show I do. There is math involved. Depending on how you are presenting your content (projectors or LED panels).
You will get more pixels out of most projectors. If I am using a single projector with the res of 1080, I make my content 1080. For LED panels, the math is in the pixels per panel by the total mapp of panels combined.
You can tell the difference in a trueHD show compared to a show that is scaled up to size.

A good "VJ" has the ability to be the video technician and content provider!

Cheers,
cvanhoose
www.3sProjections.com

patrickjansen
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by patrickjansen »

As far as I understand, the DXV codec makes the files smaller, right? It's a Resolume codec, right? But how about other VJ software? I tried a 1080p size quicktime movie (which I exported to photo jpeg) in Resolume but my computer doesn't even come close to being able to handle that size. What size/format is/are normal if you're not using Resolume, anybody any clue?

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

I gave you info for Resolume, yes, since we are in the forums of Resolume. Every software has its "optimized" codec for performance. And different codecs will give you different results. Scrubbing smoother, quality, etc. You will have to experiment according to your setup. Composition size.
And what is normal? :ugeek: