How I'm learning to VJ

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
vj8k3
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: How I'm learning to VJ

Post by vj8k3 »

I think one of my biggest problems was I forgot that space bar can do tap tempo...

so there was a lot of times I wanted to re tap the tempo but I didnt have time to mouse over to where I needed to be

I looked at the korg nano2 controllers and i love the minimalisum since im more of a transient person but it seems like I will want more controlls to smoothly manipulate everything
๐Ÿ‘ฎโ™Ÿ ลŸ๐•„๐•†โ“šแ—ด โ„‚ัโ“โ„ƒ๏ฝ‹ ๅ„๏ผกฮนฤน ๐“ˆฮ”โ“‰๐’ถล‡ ๐Ÿ˜ŽโœŒ

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

Then look for something else ;)
https://controllers.cc/

But we allready had the topic about korg nano and there are more possibilitys then you think....
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

He2neg wrote: โ†‘Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:58 Then look for something else ;)
https://controllers.cc/

But we allready had the topic about korg nano and there are more possibilitys then you think....
that is a cool site

i know iv talked about it before but its really important to me to get one I like because A) my resadince is not very secure in my life B) I hate owning stuff i dont use C) the samller the better but I want to have one that is going to be pretty serious so I dont have to sell and buy a new one. because my intrest level in this stuff is HIGH so just getting a entry level one isent good- and actually buying good gear makes more exponentially more into it. Im not sure wich ones I will like so iv been watching reviews.

To me I feel like I would want almost exactally the interface of Resolume as my pad but everywqhere there is a slider there is a button, and there is the same about of pads as I have clips...but I gues the apc 40 one looks like it prob is like that. only thing is its not that mobile is big. more then back pack size with case

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

im trying to not spend as much money as possible while learning. so far iv put the skill part ahead of the owning cool gear part

not having the internet has made it a lot harder to learn things- because its harder to just look up an answer, so instead I end up playing around more

another things I could have done better in my last 3 song set was to use beat looper for the build ups- but its like theres so much to think about at that time that it was hard for me to remember to do, and the one time I went for the button it turned out I must have turned it off before hand and forgot

now iv just been making a shit load more custom clips and loops. probably for every 15 clips i make I really like 1. I have 150 custom clips about, and probably only 40 i think are great. but the others are fun to experiment with and fill out things. and I figure its better to have a larger amount of things to draw off of then to get stuck with repetitive stuff

i even have longer clips for like a intermission or to be playing before the show actually starts

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

WitekWitek123
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by WitekWitek123 »

Wow, its great! :D

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

WitekWitek123 wrote: โ†‘Tue Apr 13, 2021 16:46 Wow, its great! :D
thanks I knew this would be helpful to certain ppl.

Currently I dont have internet still so it has made it really hard to work on stuff or even play music to practice vjing too but some friends gave me some music and I worked with that.

Just been working on little things like playing with specific clips and trying different effects

how about you?

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

ok im back on a stable living situation. for now at least. The cool news is some one GAVE me a AKAI mpd 26 controller!!!

so my next move is is to get it going and connected to resolume and control my clips. I had to take down all my videos on yt so far but ill start making some again about useful things I learn along the journey. I also have a back log of stuff to edit into loops too. and since Iv been traveling and on the road for 2 months now with no job I can afford a projector yet but thats all coming soon

stay tuned!

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

got it working. honestly dont know what I did but I was very tired and when it started working It felt great and i got a lot of energy to work on VJing again. feels cool to use the controller rather then mouse. obviously. still have lots to figure out but just going back to my favorite thing to do like a comfort food- make new clips to mix with. always feels like progress and is easy on my mind. leaving fiddling with the controller for later- also excited to make decks with 4x4 clips for the mpd26 specifically all ready to go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW-sYlMr5GY

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

i did a full 2 hour set and blew some ppls minds with my stuff. got invited to vj a bass night event in a nearby city, got to work with the other vjs, got a Epson projector, 30 foot hdmi cord, and a screen with some stands...got another event coming up from a guy who liked my stuff on the 18th and it pays $100!

learning more about midi controlling effects...not a lot of time to talk here but will do more better updates soon follow me on IG @vj_8k3 :)

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse

vj8k3

Post by vj8k3 »

so im pretty much a VJ now. I just did my first paid gig! been playing shows every weekend for last 3 weekends including private parties and bigish names in glitch bass. lots of people like my stuff and are asking me to come back. I've been developing my own style and interest, new techniques and still learning as I go.

so for anyone reading this and they want to know how long it took to become a vj (in my own definition for myself, obviously im always gona keep growing, lots to learn still im still very novice) this is how much time it took me:

-Spent about 3-8 years going to electronic shows and festivals talking about wanting to get into vjing late at night
-December 20th 2018 I bought Resolume Arena 6
-I watched all the how to videos and went through all the lessons and tried learning it in a scholarly approach, about 1 year of not really using it as much and being frustrated with it not clicking
-after a year of that
-most of 2020 I only used it occasionally just fucking around with it maybe once a month. still not getting it (and just not in the right place to be getting into it in life so my own situation getting in the way of doing it.
-the hole last winter 2020-2021 I moved to Hawaii for the winter time and had a lot of free time. I lived in a small town and after work every night I would come home and practice for like 2 hours. I basically was a loser the entire winter. I went at it in a "make what you actually wana see" approach. I just used it more artistically and did more experimenting. This created energy and fueled my to come home and do it every night.
-summer or 2021 Iv been practicing probably on average 3 hours a week, and Iv played at least 5 shows this summer with my own gear and loops.

point of this long rambling post is to show a personal side of how to get from point A to B. Follow me on I.G VJ_8k3 and if you live in New 3Ngland DM me to link up!

Asus pro duo
Intell cor I7
16 gig ram
Gforce rtx 2060
mouse