techniques

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
greggashley
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

techniques

Post by greggashley »

Hi I was wondering if anyone has any advice on how to achieve visuals like these...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm-n9J8Ovrg

I love the way it rapidly cycles through the stills then suddenly cuts to slow mo video for the fills etc. How does he get it to cycle and switch so perfectly and rapidly between the clips? Cant figure out if each image is an individual still or a rendered clip of multiple images in sequence.

Im guessing he may be using one layer with the fleshy video footage on it, colourized, and then another layer with the fast cutting images (sometimes using the videowall effect)... and perhaps one of the layers is audio reactive and only displays when there is a kick drum / lower frequencies?

And the colour scheme works brilliantly too, been trying to focus on colour myself lately to get elements fitting, but this is next level... how does everything match together so beautifully?

Thanks

Gregg

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: techniques

Post by He2neg »

Take a look in BPM as timing the jumpcuts.....

The Music is not chaning the bpm at all so if this is set correct most stuff should fit.

You can set each still to hold a special ampunt of beats as well as effects turn on/off as well.

Also this is more a music video so its set up with all the time in the world to be perfect ;)
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

greggashley

Post by greggashley »

ok cool thanks, but look at this hour long one hes done for a DJ set... its even more incredible.. that must have taken months or he just has a small handful of little tricks he's using to create that style, yes?

What about the colour schemes? Ive done practically every tutorial on youtube regarding resolume colour but still have no idea how everything works so well in his :shock:

greggashley

Post by greggashley »

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

hey greggashley,
I've made you a Demo-Composition. It's a bit quick'n'dirty. But you might get an idea of how something like this is made. EDIT: At least one of the thousand different ways ;)

- Choose emotional strong images and clips.
- Keep the visual stress-level high.
- Don't get to picky when it comes to fx adjustments. You want a rough-like look.

The package also includes some google-images with watermarks...so you have something to play with.

I've used the video of your last post to get in mood while building the comp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcr6Umn7aQ

EDIT (also added a clip-shuffeling method):
Here you can download the composition incl. image content. (DL- Link expires in 30 Days)
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/5af8a62 ... 068dc444bd

I also preconfigured the BPM for your ᴄʟᴇʀɪᴄ | ᴠɪꜱɪᴏɴꜱ video.... so you just need to hit "resync" in Resolume. And for the Image-shuffeling....just unmute layer 6 after hitting the first clip.

Best wishes

Unbenannt.png
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by He2neg »

And for colorsheme:

Have you find the palette feature of the colorize? I guess there you can get some good results.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

greggashley

Post by greggashley »

cosmowe wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 16:41 hey greggashley,
I've made you a Demo-Composition. It's a bit quick'n'dirty. But you might get an idea of how something like this is made. EDIT: At least one of the thousand different ways ;)

- Choose emotional strong images and clips.
- Keep the visual stress-level high.
- Don't get to picky when it comes to fx adjustments. You want a rough-like look.

The package also includes some google-images with watermarks...so you have something to play with.

I've used the video of your last post to get in mood while building the comp:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbcr6Umn7aQ

EDIT (also added a clip-shuffeling method):
Here you can download the composition incl. image content. (DL- Link expires in 30 Days)
https://www.swisstransfer.com/d/5af8a62 ... 068dc444bd

I also preconfigured the BPM for your ᴄʟᴇʀɪᴄ | ᴠɪꜱɪᴏɴꜱ video.... so you just need to hit "resync" in Resolume. And for the Image-shuffeling....just unmute layer 6 after hitting the first clip.

Best wishes

Unbenannt.png
Thank you so much for this! Really appreciate it and looking forward to getting more involved with everyone in the forum/community! Started teaching myself visuals around the time lockdown began so still got a lot to learn but loving every minute of it. Hopefully I can send you guys some of my work soon to see what you think!

Again thanks for this! :)

greggashley

Post by greggashley »

He2neg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 20:27 And for colorsheme:

Have you find the palette feature of the colorize? I guess there you can get some good results.
Hi mate yes I try to use the same palette scheme on every layer, albeit with different colours (also using adobe colour wheel to find matching colour schemes) but I haven't quite figured how to properly nail it.

For instance I can probably manage one layer colourised (like the first vid I sent when he has one layer with slo mo footage and looking like it has a reddy/orangey filter over it)... (I also prefer using master fx to colourise to retain the blacks greys and whites) but it also looks like he has another layer consisting of a variety of colours in each still / frame (all very kind of muted though), but everything just seems to fit and remain consistent... very dystopian. However applying the master fx colourising to the layer will make all the frames/stills the selected colour, right?

Is it basically down to a lot of pre-preparation of imagery that fit colour wise?

Or can it be achieved quite simply with say slight hue rotate offsets from layer to layer (so that it doesn't matter what clips you throw into the layer it'll all just fit nicely)?