Will this work for Resolume too?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
slof
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Will this work for Resolume too?

Post by slof »

Looks like a nice way to startup your vj-pc without the fancy Windows XP interface and useless programs that run in the background.

Ableton Live custom windows interface:

When I use Live in a live environment, I run it as a 'Custom user interface' or 'shell' in Windows XP Professional. Basically what this is if you aren't familiar with it, is replacing Explorer with Live as a shell. This means there is no desktop environment, no taskbar, no start menu, no applets running, etc.

There are many advantages to this when using Live - improved stability, free memory, improved performance, etc. The disadvantage is you lose a practical way to multi-task. (But who needs multi-tasking when you only need to run Live live?)

To accomplish this in Windows XP Pro, type 'gpedit.msc' in the run command. This brings up the 'Group Policy Editor'. Under 'User Configuration' / 'Administrative Templates' / 'System', there is a setting called 'Custom user interface'. By default this setting is 'Not Configured' (meaning Explorer).

If you select 'Enabled' and type in the path to Live (or any application), Windows will boot into Live upon startup without anything else running.

You must include parenthesis if the path to Live contains spaces - ex. "C:\Program Files\Ableton\Live 4.04\Program\Live 4.04.exe".

Restart computer!

If you do the above & wish to change the setting back, just hit CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager, hit New Task (Run), type 'gpedit.msc' and change the setting back to 'Not Configured'. Restart and you're back to Explorer. If you use a sound device that requires an applet to be running all the time, then I don't really know what your success will be. I used to use an Emagic EMI USB card that installed itself as a system service and always ran at boot-up. I never had any problems running Live as a shell. If you decide to give it a shot, it won't mess up your system in any way. If for instance you enable this setting & the path or program is not found upon boot-up, Windows$ will load the default Explorer shell.

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

hmm this sounds interesting! have you tried it? i,m going to try it tomorrow ...

Danger
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Danger »

this is very good :)
hope that works

Ruud
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

it works!

Post by Ruud »

Hee this is really cool! It works for me I reboot and instead of explorer.exe It loads Resolume beta2 without explorer and without the start button and no system tray programs so no virus scanner or bluetooth stuff.

I also experienced that the total count of processes dropped from 41 to 28. So it saves a lot of system load i guess.

Now the question is are there any disadvantages with this method?

And are there maybe other autoloaded processes or settings that can be disabled to even improve the stability and or performance during live performance?

This is great so far! Thanks

cheers Ruud

ether
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by ether »

this sounds interesting

- does it only work on XP? or can i do it on my win2k pro install??

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

interesting!

i,d say the less active processes the beter, and as long as everything is functional in resolume i would expect everything to be just that lttle bit faster and more stable.

juba

Post by juba »

i think you get the best out of resolume when you make a extra (very light) xp installation on a new partition. use resolume as the shell, only install resolume, the codec and fonts u use, your video drivers and flashplayer. this way you also won't fuck your live installation

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

what do you think about on which patition i should install resolume?

the same a the footage??

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

and were to store the virtual memory

juba

Post by juba »

i use a laptop (5400rpm hd) so i use an external firewire hd. i have a 4gb dedicated xp/resolume partition, also for the pagefile. from a data partition (on laptop hd) i trigger layer1 and the firewire for the other 2 layers. works for me :)

btw: with explorer or resolume as the shell is both have 20 running processes (clean xp installation). but it does feel better knowing there is less windows around ;) also when resolume crashes you only see a black screen, no microsoft crap. and you just have to boot and resolume starts right away :D

[Edited on 18-11-2004 by juba]