First VJ Gig...! Complete nightmare

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
machfox
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: First VJ Gig...! Complete nightmare

Post by machfox »

Too bad about the blue screen/crash.
I would strongly suggest ALWAYS running thru a video mixer with alternate source running(dvd/etc)

I use very affordable mx-1 mixer and used to be able to make prior versions of resolume crash every night(with too many midi messages) - even when res would lock up I was still able to crossfade/switch to alternate source and no one ever knew(and never a blue screen).
I have used midi and software for live audio/video performances enough to know you will always need a back-up...unless you want to have show interrupted.

the mixer option works great.

humanclimate
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by humanclimate »

thanks... I will look into your suggestion about using a hardware mixer as back up! yeah it totally makes sense to have something to switch over to should a crash happen. :)

Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Just a simple thing for your next gig, whenever you work with a beamer, get into the menu and look for the "background screen"option, if possible, set it on "black" then, when your input fails you will get a blach screen instead of the horrible blue one ;)

mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mowgli »

If as you say it was all fine until the gig it could be a vibration issue caused by the loud environment. Was your computer placed near monitors or similar?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

To be honest, I think the thing you should take out of this is that the crowd actually paid attention to your performance as a VJ. I've lost count of the amount of times when I've bluescreened on some projector in some club and nobody gave a damn.

I'd rather have them boo me than that they don't even know I'm there.

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by philmcrackin »

Well look at this way, at least they were only booing. I've had objects thrown at me while I was performing music onstage. Having to dodge flying objects from hitting your face is a lot worse.

humanclimate
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by humanclimate »

well thanks again all for the support everyone! I am still having random crashes...thinking of looking into a hardware set up. Anyone rate the new Roland system v4x ? I still love creating content in resolume but I just need a more stable working environment. thought I would post some of my resent work...

Heres a sample of my work! its going to be 5.1 installation for a gallery. I am working on 12 songs with a similar theme. Its all created using Ableton Live and Resolume together via the IAC bus, its a live performance controlled by the OHM64 rgb the music is composed basted on the visual performance, I have had a bit of trouble getting the system to stay stable. But I am able to record the video layers out to single clips and put it all back together again in Adobe Premiere ...let me know what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MJaULnxBKQ

cheers

hive8
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by hive8 »

disconappete wrote:Sorry to hear that! I often run a backup through a bangbox/switcher and just have some content rolling on that incase of a technical fail(these WILL happen at some point) that way i have something to put up so that A-people are less likley to notice, and B. so that the projectors dont go to sleep while im fixing the issue. Hope this is helpful.

Also the comment about doing a full setup and test is very important, be in charge of your setup, because everyone will be on you if it fails. Also, just reading and learning as much technical info about projectors, cables, signals, cards, everything that way if there is an issue, you are on it, checking your signal flow, finding the issues, if you cant fix it you are out of buisness and the show is over. I do a lot of DJ events in denver that I would call ameture hour because their DJ setup fails for whatever reason(mostly user error) and they cant fix it, and so their set is over. I do a lot of these shows for free so I can test various configurations out live, but no one gets pissed if there is a hickup, or a total meltdown.
You mention a bangbox/switcher what is that exactly. I was looking at the fuse instead of a video mixer.
HIVE 8 | Quantum Laser | http://www.hive8.com