How to record Advaned Output in PC platform?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Electroguepard
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

How to record Advaned Output in PC platform?

Post by Electroguepard »

I would like to record the otput of advanced outpout due to permanent installation played with dvd's.
I only can record de output before the advanced output.

There is a way to record the advanced output ao arena on a pC?

Really need it.

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: How to record Advaned Output in PC platform?

Post by pfelberg »

Conceptually speaking, I don´t see how you are going to map/project in a permanent setup using DVDs.
By default, DVDs have a pixel aspect of 0.9 or 1.21 if wide. The PC will output using a 1.0 pixel aspect as you record it, if you can.
So, following this concept, using a DVD will distort your mapping in a way it will not fit properly in your geometry surface. Course you can correct this re encoding your video, adapting pixel aspect that when recorded in DVD it will project the way you want.
Also and most important, as soon as you record your output, all your masking will go away, meaning it will be all black and not transparent anylonger. Even if you could export the masking from the output to a video file, DVDs do not and will not interpretate alphas and/or masking.
The result will be a square of light or most probably a black projection around your mapping content, coming from the projector.

Electroguepard

Post by Electroguepard »

Ok, change dvd for cheap laptop.

Electroguepard

Post by Electroguepard »

The question is to record the advanced output.

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

Ok. Answering your primary question:
Forget outputing to a projector for a while. You can allways connect your Arena output to a video capture device connected to a second computer. Record it and you are done.

But you still have issues:
A cheap laptop, might work. Will it run Arena?
Cause any video player (that I know) will still ignore your masking and alphas.
Also, your movie player will need the ability to use the second display device (2nd monitor) and play in full screen.

Best

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Also and most important, as soon as you record your output, all your masking will go away, meaning it will be all black and not transparent anylonger. Even if you could export the masking from the output to a video file, DVDs do not and will not interpretate alphas and/or masking.
I don't want to put down what is otherwise good advice, but the moment you send your image to a projector, black is black. There is no special magic in Resolume which makes a projector project transparent pixels. There is no difference between the black that Resolume sends, and the black that another player sends.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

goto10 wrote:
I don't want to put down what is otherwise good advice, but the moment you send your image to a projector, black is black. There is no special magic in Resolume which makes a projector project transparent pixels. There is no difference between the black that Resolume sends, and the black that another player sends.
But my black is blacker than your black!

Still will have the issue with output distortion though

To record all you need is some kind of video recording device and a cable to connect your resolume system...
Lighting and media server design

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

goto10 wrote:
So, how is that we get masking (transparency) and solid black in the same signal sent by Resolume?
What is the "magic" and why can´t that be reproduced using DVDs and other players?

Electroguepard

Post by Electroguepard »

The only question is if I can record or I can not record te signal via software in the same laptop.

The alpha and masks, I don't understand whay I need to record, even when in my mappings I don't use them:

www.electroguepard.com

The aspect ratio is something easy to resolve in preproduction.

LXConcepts

Post by LXConcepts »

pfelberg wrote:
goto10 wrote:
So, how is that we get masking (transparency) and solid black in the same signal sent by Resolume?
What is the "magic" and why can´t that be reproduced using DVDs and other players?
Technically black does not exist when it comes to how projectors work....
Lighting and media server design