osx mavericks

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
zebbler
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: osx mavericks

Post by zebbler »

Ok, so we moved to performing on a machine with a previous OS 10.8
But we really want to solve this one way or another.
I am going to (currently) give this option a try ---> I will completely wipe this computer clean, and reinstall Mavericks, Resolume and IRMapio on it. And that's it. Nothing else. Lets see how this holds up. From all of the reports I received from Resolume - my problem is isolated. So hopefully, a total fresh reinstall of everything will solve this problem, if it was indeed caused by some odd corruption.

zebbler

Post by zebbler »

So, I erased my computer. Completely wiped clean. Re-installed OS Mavericks. Reinstalled Resolume Avenue and registered it. Reinstalled Mapio. That's ALL I have on my computer now - absolutely nothing else. Tried to open the old Resolume file I used on tour for a year or so from an external hard drive. It immediately crashed... it's kind of heartbreaking to have so much of my work (it's not easy to rebuild a mapped set I've worked on for over a year) just disappear. It works on my other, personal, computer - which is running 10.8 when I try to open it there - it opens. Same Resolume version on both. On my blank OS Mavericks computer ---> instant crash.
I've sent you a log report. I have also done the requested Activity Monitor tests prior to this. I seriously suspect that it's the software, and not anything that I am doing wrong at this point. Let me know what else I can do.

zebbler

Post by zebbler »

As a last-ditch effort - we're going to try to rebuild the entire set from scratch.
If that fails, doom is upon us. But this might work.
Still a giant mystery why it opens on my 10.8 computer but not on 10.9. But maybe re-building the set from scratch will eliminate the crashy quirk.

zebbler

Post by zebbler »

Ok... So I wiped the computer clean. Installed JUST Mavericks, Resolume (latest Avenue version) and the last IRMapio. Rebuilt the set from scratch. Took me about 4 hours, but it was looking nice.

Crash reports: Resolume crashed a few times when I was simply dragging video files over. That was a bummer.
Otherwise, everything was working fairly well, as I was used to anyhow in 10.8 on that same machine.

Then - IR Mapio time. I reinstalled it, mapped one of my layers (no problem), tried adding it to another layer - and everything froze. The layer it was added to disappeared. I could still somewhat use Resolume (albeit very sluggishly). If I deleted that IR Mapio instance - everything re-appeared. But adding a IR Mapio instance would inevitably crash everything. I downloaded several versions of IR Mapio (Visution as well). Nothing worked. Alas, no time to try Mapio2. I just bought it, installed - but learning how to make it run as a plugin was complicated for me to give up on this path and use my personal computer with 10.8 to run the show yet again.

Also - Mavericks by default - displayed a finder / other menu bar on the secondary display. To remove that (it was a bit nutty on top of all my issues), I found this helpful blog:
http://www.mactrast.com/2013/10/disable ... mavericks/

My summary:
While Resolume is not perfect, and it does occasionally crash (i.e. loading files) in Mavericks, my biggest culprit is likely the older versions of Mapio (1.5, etc) plugin. Which, for me anyway, straight up didn't work in Mavericks. A bit of a stressful thing to try to learn on the fly in the middle of a tour, but that's what it is. We had to upgrade, since a new set of cameras we got, required an OS higher than 10.7 for that computer. And since Apple didn't offer a 10.8 anymore - we risked 10.9 ---> and regretted it. A lot. Hope someone can learn from this and not repeat my mistakes (if you have IR Mapio - DON'T upgrade the OS).

Djtwok
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Djtwok »

zebbler wrote:Just for kicks, clicked a few more columns while Resolume was stuck on showing just one layer... The entire OS started flashing broken glitches, Resolume crashed, Mac kept flashing broken patterns for about 20 seconds after, all of the finder windows, etc were just going completely berzerk
That also happened to me once :( I had to restart the Mac. Curiously my FaceTime camera isn't working (which does for other users with mavericks). The video which I recorded last gig was broken and couldn't be viewed. Yesterday after starting resolume all settings were gone and I had to load my composition new (wasn't loaded automatic at startup). I'm starting to regret that I updated to mavericks so fast :(
Macbook pro 13inch mid 2012

www.Soundcloud.com/djtwok

zebbler

Post by zebbler »

Communicating with the creator of Mapio, Ivan right now.
We got the plugin to work with more than one layer, but then on triggering the columns a few times, Resolume crashed hard again. While I think that Mapio did have something to do with it, he looked at the crash logs and said the following:

"It's weird but apart from one crash in mapio editor remaining сrashes in the Avenue is are not related to Mapio.
Are you sure you crash occur only when you start use Mapio? (I mean crashes after replace sysctl file)
Try to test all your actions on Avenue without Mapio."

Whatever this means for either party - I think the undeniable lesson here is DON'T UPGRADE YOUR OS TO MAVERICKS IF YOU WANT RESOLUME OR MAPIO TO WORK. Or lots of other apps as well.

Meh.