mapping indian monument

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
spiralviral1112
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

mapping indian monument

Post by spiralviral1112 »

hi guys been using arean for overa year done some small projection mapping projects with this which really worked well . pics
DI-LR-3152.jpg
DI-LR-3159.jpg
and now i have a chance of mapping this building for a fixed install sound , light and video show for a monument in india :
1482959_10153626951455459_275155164_n.jpg
looking for ideas on how it would be best to produce content for this keeping in mind it needs to be mapped ..

the width of the building is 84 ft and the height that is gonna be used is about 45 ft

planning to use 2x 8000 lums digital projection projectors with native res of 1920x1080

hope you guys can help
thanks

spiralviral1112

Re: mapping indian monument

mabe i am in the wrong thread can someone point me in the right direction ..... admin help !!!!!

vj granda
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by vj granda »

Hello spiralviral1112 , first of all, yes, may be is better to put this question in the general chat.

But I think you don't have answers because your question is very difficult to answer.

For what I can see in your other mapping project, this monument is too big for your level, and adding light to the project is another difficult thing.

My advice: you need to work a lot more, before to do a monumental mapping like this.
To do a mapping is something easy these days with the help of dedicated software, the problem is to do good content...

First, you need to create a 3D model of the building and then create the content with AE and C4D, for instance...

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

[topic moved]

spiralviral1112

thanks for the advice .... i do understand what u saying but i do have a content team in place to build me the content in c4d ... about the light s i just need to recieve a smpt signal from the sound and light sofware my tech team works with .... i was just wanting to get ideas about the most efective way to map it . and if it will be possible in arena or i should use a external software to map it

thanks

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Your projectors are not nearly bright enough with lighting. You can do it with arena, long as you have a perfect cad drawing or laser scan of the building for your design team. From there you need an exact measurement of where your projectors will be in perspective of the structure. Anything off basically ruins ALL your content. Its a lot of work, personally I would say looking at your last job that you would learn a lot but would unlikely be successful because of the lumens you have. Using Avolites and Coolux would make things easier, but you're not in that price range.

I would spend more time on using LED lights to light the building uniquely if you can't get 2x20k projectors. Your projecting on a dark surface that isn't reflective with 15k of projectors with ambient light. I would tell the client that the chances of getting an immerse mapping effect isn't going to happen. Using high contrast you could add light texture.

I don't know what else you have worked on, but the fact the mapping those 2d clouds seems to have been a tad difficult for you makes this a mountain of a task.

All i can say is, get much stronger projectors or abandon projections as it will just be dull, hard to see and will disappoint your client. Take the budget for projections, get more lights and use LEDS inside/outside of the building and hire a good LD with a proper board.

spiralviral1112

thanks for the input i will speak to the client and c what he says .... thanks guys

spiralviral1112

20140309_214528(0).jpg
1st test of the 3d model !!!!!!