resolume VS flowmotion

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
therandelman
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

resolume VS flowmotion

Post by therandelman »

Battle of the Titans!

the latest version of flowmotion (2.5) just got released. i downloaded the demo and will test it and of course comparing it to resolume. i just had it running for some minutes, so i cant say a lot.
but what i already noticed is the still very good working LOAD INTO RAM feature, very constant FPS rates and the fact, that it just syncs MUCH better to the music or adjustable BPMs than resolume! the biggest flaw of resolume from my point of view.
one flow of flowmotion might be the output qiualitiy maybe...

i would really be interessted in other people's opinion (also bart and edwins, if they mind). just some healthy competition...
:D

stay sharp,
the|randelman

edit: here's the link: http://www.robotfunk.com

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by therandelman]

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Hi therandelman,
we know 'jilt' the developer of flowmotion really well. Haven't seen the 2.5 version yet but i will soon have a look. Also v-king is a nice tool made in director by a friend of jilt.

Anyway, there should be competition and we don't mind it at all. We meet developers a lot and it's allways nice to meet up with others that develop tools for vjing. Jilt has done an excellant job on the audio analyses and we agree that flowmotion has some advantages on that front.

But it's hard to compare resolume and flowmotion. they were developed with other ideas in mind. But we would like to hear more from people what they think of other software and what they would like to see in resolume....

Cheers
Edwin

therandelman

great

Post by therandelman »

i am glad, that u agree with "the healthy competition" attitude behind that thread.

and i am interessted: you mentioned different developing ideas. what has been yours? how does it differ from jilt's? what would you point out as the big pro, the USP of resolume?

james res
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by james res »

hi Edwin

I have been playing with resolume for a while. in general I think It has very nice software with very clean intuitive. GREAT INTERFACE. but because it has no audio support I bought Arkaos (no need of scan converter , dual head support)

what I most suffer from in resolume are:

1. lack of settings / midi settings management. (load/ save)

2. not constant FPS rate of playback

3. lack of 4 layers and possibility to use them like in VJAMM ( 4 videos at once each different corner)

4 .resize and place on screen where you want option

I hope you understand this kind of english :)

Rincevent

Post by Rincevent »

Originally posted by edwin
Also v-king is a nice tool made in director by a friend of jilt.
I think this guy is dead cause I dwnloaded, installed, tried to run and had problems, reported problems as asked in the V-King forum on the Tue Nov 16 and NO ANSWER since then so...

I would never buy a piece of software who offer NO SUPPORT, even if it's only 99 Euros.

too bad cause V-King seems nice, actually my first impression about it when I saw screenshot was "mmmhhh looks like Resolume with more options".

therandelman

i cant stop buggin today...

Post by therandelman »

would it actually be possible to achieve a performance similar to vjamm pro (which is stunning!) just with optimizing resolume's code?

or are there certain limits due to programm language choice (resolume is lingo, right?) or something like that?

juba

Post by juba »

just tested a few minutes...

i like:
the ram load option
the great performance
the 2 extra layers
the posibillitie to link var. to others
good midi setup
joystick support
12 freeframe effect sliders!
24 clips in your grid
the midi clock and bpm sync
the tiny sequencer

i would like to see:
global effects
more settings in the grid
tabbed grids...
lumakey etc
chaos mode?...

i didn't really test it, but what i tested looks great, very interesting program

(edit) the "draw value" controller is also great, i wish i had a midi ribbon controller...

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by juba]

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

o.k stop making flowmotion look so good :D

thereandelman,
yes it is possible to get performance like VJAMM, or something close. They made VJAMM in delphi like we did Resolume, so no lingo of course. Director uses lingo, flowmotion and v-king are made using lingo. Wich is surprisingly fast as you can see.

VJAMM uses opengl, vjamm tried to keep everything as fast as possible so they use hardware alphablending. But you are very limited what you can do on combining layers, because there is no hardware support for all the overlaymodes and effects we offer. So we can't use the hardware like we would like to.
But yes you can get stunning performance like VJamm, esepcially they did a great job on playback of clips and sound.

Vjamm chose for speed and hi-performance, we chose for a much wider range of feautures.

cheers
Edwin

vj docmotion

Post by vj docmotion »

flowmotion a titan

hahahahahahahaha

:P:P:P

therandelman

what a thread...

Post by therandelman »

yes it is possible to get performance like VJAMM, or something close. .
I am so very happy to hear that! Hope this is top priority on your endless seeming to-do list ;)
Vjamm chose for speed and hi-performance, we chose for a much wider range of feautures.
and we all appreciate that!!
i am aware of the two totally different developing ideas, that's why i went for resolume in first place ;)
but i am still hoping to see a vjamm kind of performance some day soon (without spending all my cash on stripping various highspeed harddisks and whatnot...)
however, you know that we know that you are doing a great job! :D

@ doc: so what's so funny about that, hu? :(

[Edited on 3-12-2004 by therandelman]