known limitations

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

known limitations

Post by najrock »

hey guys,

just wondering,

what are the known limits on clip count, deck count and layer count in the current build?

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Re: known limitations

Post by cosmowe »

It depends on your hardware. There is no software limitation.

Greetings
cosmowe
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

DayVeeJay
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by DayVeeJay »

I emailed support with a similar question. Joris responded with:

"The other sure way to kill Resolume is to overload it with clips. Depending on your OS, clip codec and clip resolution, 60 clips in a deck can already bring you in the danger zone.

In cases like this, it's good to keep an eye on memory usage with Task Manager. Anything over 2GB should sound off a warning signal in your head to being with a fresh deck."

I would make the assumption that you could use activity monitor on OS X to see the RAM usage

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My latest composition for the premiere of an opera opening in San Francisco tomorrow is 1900x1120 with 19 layers, 85 columns and probably about 34GB of DXV 2.2 (with Alpha movies) and PNG (with Alpha) media clips of various sizes loaded in one deck and runs without any glitches.

It runs at nearly 32fps with 1 main 1080p LED monitor, 1 Matrox TH2G (3 projectors at 1280x1024), and 1 HDMI to HD-SDI Blackmagic adapter running 1 projector at 1080 30p located 300ft away via a HD-SDI to Component Blacmagic adapter.

I find that the main trick to have smooth sailing in Arena is to make sure all your movies are in DXV 2.2 codec and I personally only use PNG with Alpha for graphics.

One of my last shows, I had eight 2-second ProRes 4444 with Alpha 1080p clips that were loaded in over 20 rapid triggers and the same computer couldn't handle the load! I did a quick conversion to DXV 2.2 with Alpha and the composition ran at over 30fps for days.

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Overall, can not load 30+ high res JPG at once (or sometimes that many)

Example:
Client walks into venue with minutes to opening and hands me tons of 2000px+ images to play as a slideshow (characters, scenes and other 3D models). Watch the ram usage creep up and crash and just over 8GB usage.

Easy enough for me to convert to something smaller and usable, not so easy for a clienut expecting to see their images right away

cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Post by cosmowe »

8 GB? Image
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

We've somewhat improved memory usage for ProRes and h264 files on the 4.1.9 release.

Still, anything which is not DXV encoded eats up a lot of memory, and that includes stills like JPEGs and PNGs. The larger the resolution of the file, the more memory it will eat up. The size in bytes does not matter, nor does the length of the clip.

Also the comp / layer size affects memory use. Running 1080p material in a 5760x2400 comp will hit harder than the same content in a 1080p comp. Resolume has to take into account the full texture size when rendering, not just the image that has the pixels.

In our experience, the limit for anything non-DXV is around 60 1080p files per deck on OSX Mavericks, on PC it's generally higher. With DXV encoded material we usually stop testing at around 500 1080p files per deck. Switching to another deck completely closes all the files in the old deck, and frees up any memory in use by those files.

Note that Resolume is a 32 bit app, so the magic memory limit is at 3GB ( I don't know how dirtyjohn_lv is able to access 8GB, he must be doing some dark magic that we don't know about ).

dirtyjohn_lv

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Eh, don't know why I type 8, stupid keypad

Tested with 2 images at 2k resolution. PNG with alpha made in Photoshop.
Crashes around 1GB usage. Same 2 images loaded multiple time.
Fresh 640x480 compisition.
Attachments
Crashed.jpg
Last edited by dirtyjohn_lv on Thu Jun 19, 2014 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That's two images loaded 65 times, cheater ;)

I agree it's unfortunate that Resolume crashes, it should just give you warning that you are reaching the limit and prohibit you from loading more.

As it stands, there are some technical issues that prevent us from doing that for the time being. So you will have to trust on your experience as a professional operator and show some restraint when using non-DXV encoded material.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris, from what you're saying, we'd be better off rendering a still as a DXV file (either 1 frame or a short movie), right?

Also, will R5 be 64-bit?

It'd be great to have an option to optimize media in R5.