No more running out of VJ Clips

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
flexcube
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

No more running out of VJ Clips

Post by flexcube »

Hi,

I make some custom content for each VJ gig and have a library of VJ clips. Most of my gigs are like 5-8 hours. After a while I just feel like I am running out of cool clips and I'm just playing the same content over and over.

Even though I have a lot of clips I find it difficult to pick good fresh content for such an extended time period.

How do you guys handle this situation?

Is this something I have to accept because of how long my VJ sets are, or do you guys have
some tips?

I mostly VJ at EDM style events on LED screens.

bart
Team Resolume

Re: No more running out of VJ Clips

Post by bart »

Sure we have a solution for this: BUY MORE FOOTAGE:
www.resolume.com/footage

;-)

Jokes aside, we often see VJ performances where they try to play as many different clips per song as possible. This is really overkill, it's perfectly fine and probably desirable for the sanity of your audience to just mix with 2 or 3 loops per song, and if you listen carefully you'll notice song transitions even with EDM style music.

Yuckfou157
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Yuckfou157 »

Interesting thing...I'm VJ'ing pro now for some 2/3 years and I do recognize your problem, in the beginning I was also playing as much loops as I could burning down my whole library in hours and thinking I was doing a shitty job because I needed to play loops again...
Now a bit further in the game my library has expanded enormous (check Barts solution ;) ) but I am teaching myself to use less and less, but I give the image time to work, play around with some effects and double things sometimes and re use them in a set, still compared to others I use a lot of loops, but I also know guys who use a hell of a lot more then me...
One thing is that with EDM, which I also do a lot, you burn a lot of loops because of the style of music, building up, trash the image, drop and repeat with a different set of loops, if you do that for 8 hours in a row you need a shitload of loops to show something new every time, so try to use the same for the build up if it works and keep some different ones for the drop for example...

flexcube
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by flexcube »

Thanks for your responses :) I'm going to try to play around more with effects and make my visuals more reactive so I can use a loop for a longer duration.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by Basic »

Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20

machfox
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by machfox »

I do many long nites using resolume...you can do so much with the same few clips and make them fresh and new by adding effects/muting layers