timecode softwar

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: timecode softwar

Post by Arvol »

Last time they came through that sounds very accurate. Smalley defiantly wasn't using time code, he was jumping around, well.... being Smalley :)

Visuals consisted of 3 laptops. TD was being used, and all the strobe hit's and fx timing was programmed a few seconds ahead of the hits and drops, by hand (hitting record sequence and then tapped the hits and fades manually)
I believe the SMPTE was used to start the clips with the songs, but nothing really beyond that.

The song No Way looked ah-mazing!!

Had to steal all the security from the B stage to help with this during the beginning of his set lol
phpBB [video]

^video, click to play

Sorry if If this jacked the post a little

4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by 4eyes »

drazkers wrote:
dinga wrote:Bassnectar has his own proprietary SMPTE setup as well.
They are using touch designer and a version of V-squared's epic for video. Smalley isn't using SMPTE i believe.
It's called UNS (ultimate nerd server). It looks a little bit like Epic because it was built by the same person, Peter Sistrom, but besides some UI widget similarities (dropdowns) nothing under the hood is the same.

No SMTPE, sync is achieved by slicing the content up into little chunks and linking the playheads in Ableton via OSC. This allows for clever things like synchronized timestretching of video when BN slows the audio that would be difficult to smoothly achieve with straight SMTPE. That said about half the show is still punted by their VJ Max Chang as BN changes up his set nightly and adds tracks faster than sync content is produced.

Lighting/lasers are all manually triggered by Smalley and Gabe.

Cheers

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

All of that sounds correct. Here's a small article on UNS
http://namethemachine.com/project/uns/

Daniel
Team Resolume

Post by Daniel »

don't get your hopes up to much regarding SMTPE & CDJ2000 connections. Sure it works, but not all the time.

I hear a lot about these kind of system crashing often. It is also a workaround and not officially supported by Pioneer, Pioneer just turns a blind eye to it. There are more system in the air - but rather expensive or still in prototype fase. As far as I saw, it isn't that worthwhile just yet. But thats just my opinion.

philmcrackin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by philmcrackin »

4eyes wrote:That said about half the show is still punted by their VJ Max Chang as BN changes up his set nightly and adds tracks faster than sync content is produced.
I got to say I was really surprised by this. Max has an Ableton screen share with Bassnectar as he doesn't know what Bassnectar is going to do half the time. I'm surprised that somebody like Bassnectar would improvise so heavily using Ableton. Makes sense why they have the OSC sync.