Transition duration..

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Ladin
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Transition duration..

Post by Ladin »

Hi guys, please help.. :-)
Firstly I have to say, that I´m quite noob.. So, I have maybe a trivial question..
Model situation:
Videos in two or more layers, in two or more columns.. For better imagination let´s say:
Column 1:
layer 1-background, layer 2-PIP..
Column 2:
Same, but with different videos..
Skipping from column 1 to column 2. I can control transition duration by auto layer transition duration slider (next to layer transport controls) from 0 to 10 seconds..
BUT, how to set the exactly same time for both (or all) layers? There are no marks around the slider or digits with duration of transition..
Or.. Am I just blind??

Thx..

L.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Transition duration..

Post by Zoltán »

you would have to map the sliders to the same midi control change or osc, maybe key mapping would work too I'm not sure.

or use an external tool to virtually bind them together , like the one I made, link below.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Ladin

Post by Ladin »

Thank you..
I just want to set it for all layers and leave it alone.. No changes during event.. But I´m just wondering, how to set (for example) 1,5 second long transition.. How can i check, if it´s 1,5 sec..
Or how to set up the layer that can say to all clips "hey guys, if you are in my layer, you will fade out for 2 seconds and fade in for 1 second" and there will be second layer commanding all clips "Hi, I´m completely different layer, so if you won´t fade out in 2 seconds and fade in in 0,5 second, go to hell"?
Situation is, that there will be one live background (layer1), 2 or 3 PIPs (layer 2-4) and a logo (some picture in layer 5).
I have to fade out PIPs and logo first (layers 2 -5) in same time with same duration, then background (layer 1) and then fade in background first, then all other stuff..

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

do you have a midi controller?

look at the menu: Mapping
click on composition key mapping
now select a transition time slider
push a key on your keyboard, now you can set the two end values,exit mapping
you can now jump between the two values on pressing that key.
edit:
you can assign the same key to multiple sliders.
note that resolume has application key mapping pre set, so you should clear that,so you don't assing an already used key, or weird things can happen:)
/edit

you could assign midi knobs too in a similar way in midi mapping.

http://resolume.com/manual/en/r4/contro ... rd_control

The way I usually do things with my tool - I launch only full columns - :
I set up every step (cues) individually, and set the clip in the layers that don't to change to ignore column trigger.
I can set the transition times for each of my cues individually, but all layers to the same value.
I do theatre work most of the time, with projected sceneries, and backgrounds.

btw, you can make a clip fade in/out via the clips opacity slider, set it to timeline and set the speed and direction, speed=1 is 5 seconds, speed=2 is 5/2 =2.5 seconds, speed=0.2 is 5 / 0.2 seconds.
Last edited by Zoltán on Fri May 01, 2015 15:45, edited 1 time in total.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Here is an easy way to doing it.
  • Go to Mapping>Edit Application OSC Map
    Click on Deck
    Click on Layer 1 Transition and you will see that the syntax is /layer1/transitiontime (Float 0.0 - 1.0) range (0.0 - 10.0) so in your case it would be /layer1/transitiontime 0.15
Keep in mind that it's a normalized value (Float 0.0 - 1.0) that corresponds to a range from 0 to 10 seconds.

You can use that syntax on any OSC controller for any layer you want to change. Make sure you turn on OSC input in Resolume Preferences (Port 7000 is the default). If the controller is on the same computer as Resolume use 127.0.0.1 for an IP address and port 7000 in your controller to send OSC messages to Resolume

If you are on a mac, here is a Vezer comp that will set your layers 1-5 to 1.5 seconds (you can download a demo version of Vezer at vezerapp.hu). If you check out the settings you will notice that Vezer has a cool feature that lets you set up the float from 0 to 10 and will send normalized values to Resolume so that you don't have to calculate.
Ladin Transitions.zip
(414.08 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
If you are on a PC, I'm sure you'll find an OSC controller so just use /layerX/transitiontime 0.15 where X is your layer number.

Good luck

Ladin

Post by Ladin »

Damn! Guys, thanks a lot.. Really appreciate it.

L.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Ladin wrote:Damn! Guys, thanks a lot.. Really appreciate it.

L.
I forgot to mention that using Vezer, you can program multiple cues with different transition speeds. All you have to do is change the speed before you trigger the column or clips which you can do in Vezer as well.

Ladin

Post by Ladin »

Thx Oaktown, I have to try it, because controlling via OSC, or MIDI brings much more better workflow, I gues.. I have already tried ravensc´s tip to map the keys and it´s brilliant.. There is a possibility to map more commands under one key.
So, for the situation few posts above: Edit aplication key map, then clicking on slider on layer1.
I can map the change under key (let´s say num 1), there is also a range slider so I can choose (for example) starting position 1 and ending position 2 (sec.).
Same thing for other layers.
Stop mapping and back to the control..
Pressing key num1 causes skipping sliders between positions 1 and 2..
Main trick is seting the slider of background (layer1) to opposite value then other layers..
First press num1 - layer 1 - 1 second
other layers - 2 seconds
Second pres num1 - layer 1 - 2 seconds
other layers - 1 second
That is exactly what I need..

Great!!