no transparency in DXV

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Luxcollective
Is taking Resolume on a second date

no transparency in DXV

Post by Luxcollective »

I have suddenly lost the ability to export DXV with alpha... tried DXV2 with Alpha Preserved and DXV 3 Normal with Alpha and DXV High with Alpha. I have tried FCPS, Motion, AE. Nothing changed on the system (as far as I know) Running Macbook Pro Retina / Yosemite

Anyone else having issues with DXV alpha?

HAP Alpha works fine from the same project exports. Would prefer to stay all DXV3.

Thoughts?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: no transparency in DXV

Post by Oaktown »

Delete any DXV components from the Quicktime folder:
  • Windows:
    • Just trash the DXV component files from the C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem folder
      If you run Windows 32-bit then the codec will be located in C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem
    Mac OS:
    • Just trash the DXV component files from the /Library/QuickTime folder
and then re-install DXV (https://resolume.com/software/codec), this will install both DXV2 and DXV3.

Luxcollective

Post by Luxcollective »

Thanks for the info!

that Quicktime folder does not exist or at least I can't find it. There is no Quicktime components folder in Library... the DXV application support seems to be in:

/application support/DXV

Is this perhaps new folder system for DXV 3?

I have Quicktime and FCPx installed and it sees and exports to DXV just fine, the transparency version just doesn't to transparency. So its in there somewhere. hmmm...

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

If you are on a Mac, the DXV codecs should be in your top level library not the user library so go to Finder and hit Shift+Command+G (or click on Go, select Go to Folder) and enter this address: /Library/QuickTime and you should see them in there as:
  • DXV3Codec.component
    DXVCodec.component

Luxcollective

Post by Luxcollective »

ah found it... top level was hidden. Trashed them, re-installed. No dice. It must be something with FCP/Compresser/Motion Tried AE and Media Encoder too. Ack! This is driving me crazy. Thanks for your help!

Luxcollective

Post by Luxcollective »

FYI... The DXV installer only installs DXV 3 now too. so DXV2 is gone since I deleted it (don't use it anyway)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

DXV2 should still be installed by the DXV installer and it'll be in that folder listed as DXVCodec.component

Are you sure your transparency issue doesn't have to do with premultiply vs straight?

Can you describe your process when you render your DXV files?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm a bit confused about your process as well. Afaik, FPCX and Motion only export to ProRes, they don't support rendering to any 3rd party codecs at all.

We'll be happy to help look into this if you think it's something on our end. Could you please contact us directly with the exact steps for your encoding process?

ReggieUnderground
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by ReggieUnderground »

Joris wrote:Afaik, FPCX and Motion only export to ProRes, they don't support rendering to any 3rd party codecs at all.
They do by way of Compressor. For example in the 'Add Destination' window in FCPX you select 'Compressor Settings', then DXV will be listed.

Edit: First you have to set up the presets in Compressor

Luxcollective

Post by Luxcollective »

thanks for all the replies peeps... (I missed them at first) I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling DVX 3.0 and that seemed to clean it up. BTW FCPX can export to any format that Compressor does, you just add the Share setting from your Compressor settings library. Thanks as always to the Resolume community for quick answers.
:-)