Screen Tearing Windows 10

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Screen Tearing Windows 10

Post by mfo »

Going back to Win8 or 7 is not an option for me. For now my solution is to use the onchip Intel GPU. Obv this means less powerful performance, hence I'm still hoping for some solution by Nvidia or Microsoft. Of course if for Resolume a fix could be found ...

DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by DHoude »

By all that happens outside Resolume, I can say for sure that this not a Resolume issue. Win 10 maybe, NVIDIA maybe, but I have a feeling it is a Quicktime thing.

madlios
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by madlios »

Good news all Nvidia users using windows 10!
After much trouble and trials I finally found a fix (workaround) (for nvidia users)

What you need is to download the Nvidia Inspector ad Guru3d.

now go into the advance settings and set a frame rate limit (framerate limitet) that should sync with your monitor. My monitor is 60hz and i notized i got tearing when the framerate got somewhere around 57, i tried to set it to 50 and i noticed reduction in tearing, now i'm running at a limit of 40fps and no tearing can be noticed and 40fps feels smooth enough for me, way better than 24 fps with my internal Intel GPU.

Hope this helped all who share the same problems.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

So I have my own fix here. I finally went back to Win 10 and did allot of testing. I found that when the Resolume program (interface window) was minimized, the tearing went away on my secondary crowd facing display. This lead me to believe it may be caused by a Window function, like windows Aero.

In the past on Win 7, Aero had to be enabled for me. Now in Win 10, the only way to get screen tearing to go away is to use a "High Contrast" theme. These seem to be a far more basic look. To be honest I am not real happy with most High Contrast themes and I am still experimenting (I found a win classic theme I like most). But my initial tests showed no screen tearing and 95 fps (max win 10 for me is 120) with any High Contrast theme enabled.

I will post more as I learn. I am very interested in anyone's experience with 10 and tips on how to eliminate tearing. Hopefully without having to enable a High Contrast theme because they do look very unfinished and "blocky" (odd button borders, etc).

elgarf

Post by elgarf »

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks! Doing some reading on it. Will test tomorrow when I can hook into my 2nd screen.

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

elgarf wrote:Hey, Dhoude, try this theme:
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7i73s7a1hjipunu/aerolite.theme.
Thanks. ;)
Still have some tearing on the corner, but much smaller.

elgarf

Post by elgarf »

madlios wrote:Hope this helped all who share the same problems.
Your solution works good for me, cap fps to stable 30 :)

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I still have screen tearing here with Aero Lite theme. Plus FPS is in the 60s with only 1 clip playing. Which also dives fast as you add layers. The high contrast theme I start at 105 FPS with 1 clip.

I think the tearing was slightly improved and Aero Lite. It definitely looks way better than High Contrast theme! But did not solve it for me. Thank you for sharing, looks like it helped some!

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

To all who have followed. I found this out from the NVIDIA forum.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3158621

Looks like it is a Windows issue. Not sure of a status of any fix. Here is to hoping the Aug 2nd Win 10 Anniversary update addresses it. Not holding my breath.

Despite the fact that they said "This problem is due to a limitation of the hybrid graphics presentation stack in Windows 10". The end of that KB makes it sound like they are blaming the Applications when they wrote:

"The third-party products that this article discusses are manufactured by companies that are independent of Microsoft. Microsoft makes no warranty, implied or otherwise, about the performance or reliability of these products."

Hoping we can come together and or ask the good folks at Resolume to help us push Microsoft to fix it. I am one tiny user and it will take allot more than that to push them to fix this.