Screen Tearing Windows 10

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Screen Tearing Windows 10

Post by DHoude »

Well, Win 10 Anniversary update (Build 14393.10) shows some positive improvements! 155 fps with Aero lite theme enabled (previously 60 fps) and noticeably less (not fixed 100%) screen tearing.

The High Contrast trick is not such a great option in this new build. About 80 fps, but no tearing that I can find right now.

Here is to hoping they are working on it. Maybe a driver could fix it at this point. Stay tuned! I may do a full clean install of the new build and start fresh with all that I have learned. For now I am pleasantly surprised and finally optimistic about Win 10 on this laptop.

Kadete

Post by Kadete »

Its worse than before :( so many gitches
Last edited by Kadete on Sat Aug 06, 2016 13:43, edited 1 time in total.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I wish I could say the same. But glad it is helping you. We have to work together if we are going to get MS to listen to a bug that big and old.

Make sure to test with a fast action video. I have one that is very flashy and changes almost every frame (worst case type video) and that still shows some tearing. It is definitely improved for me though.

Maybe I need to clean install and do all the tweaks from scratch again. Some of my tweaks were undone for me during the update.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Hi All, I have still been working hard on finding some solution to this Win 10 screen tearing. Some of you may have heard that Windows 10 has released their "Creators update" (build 15063) released to the public today. All I can say is that it is a big bust, I still get screen tearing with some clips (same as before).

My tested system
Win 10 Build 15063 (Creators update)
New Intel 4600 drivers - ending in 4624
New NVIDIA drivers - 381.65 - Clean install and re set back up

I have been comparing all my power, sound card, game bar (disable it) & resolution/zoom settings. I have had no luck fixing this screen tearing. I will keep testing but I think I have finally lost hope in Win 10 ever fixing this issue.

Vsync dose seem to help now but my FPS goes from 150 to 60.

Not sure if the folks at Resolume could help us prove what the issue is to Microsoft, but I just can't use this for shows this way. I have used Mac and not really a fan. I think I just need to give up on live video performance. Win 7 is only going to be supported for so long and I just can't keep up hope that Microsoft even cares about what we do here.

Even though I am feeling defeated here, I am open to any suggestions you may have. Just hoping to keep an open dialog here to see what you all may have discovered.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Vsync dose seem to help now but my FPS goes from 150 to 60.
That is exactly what Vsync is supposed to do.

An average monitor refreshes at 60Hz. This means that 60 times per second, it paints a new picture on its screen. It paints these pictures starting in the top left, and then works it way down line by line. After exactly 1/60th of a second it has reached the bottom of the frame, and starts painting in the top again.

Resolume rendering at 150 fps means you send 150 pictures every second to that monitor. That's more than twice as much as your monitor can handle. So when sending all these pictures, your monitor gets confused, shrugs, says okay, whatever you want man, and start painting a new picture, halfway while it was done painting the old one. With tearing as the result. Above the tear is the new frame, below the tear is still showing the old one.

So you always want to have VSync turned on. Having 150 fps sounds great, but you're throwing 90 frames away every second.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for the heads up on that. It was odd that ADK support (my laptop) was telling me to always set that to NO when we were working on this issue in past builds. He was a very knowledgeable guy. The downside to his knowledge, well he is NOT at all a live performance guy. I will deffer to you guys on that.

The frustrating part is Win 7 played flawlessly without Vsync. Times change and I get that though.

I will say that Vsync set to On made no difference in older Win 10 build. So I guess I would have to say that must be the fix.

I am open to any preferred video tweaks that could give the most solid playback possible. Anyone create a good guide?