Screen Tearing Windows 10

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Screen Tearing Windows 10

Post by DHoude »

So I have been through screen tearing before with Windows 7 (Aero was the issue). But I just can't seem to figure out what can be causing this in Win 10. I have tried the latest 2 NVIDIA drivers 355.98 and 358.50 (both were Win 10 installs). I also have the latest Intel video drivers too with no luck.

Basically I have and ADK laptop and they specialize in Pro Audio / Video work. They have a very good video guy who has remoted in to help on several occasions over the last 2 days. He is saying that there is probably no way to eliminate this without re encoding all my videos into DNxHD. I personally believe this is more of a Win 10 thing, but looking for help. All my content right now is in DXV 3, as recommended. I have a couple SWF files too.

First off, he asked what Quicktime API was Resolume built for? He suggested I go back to that version of Quicktime. Also was just the UI for Resolume updated for 10? Sorry for the direct questions, but this is what I was asked to find out. I also noticed that there is no "Win 10" version of Quicktime. Not sure what to do here but gather details and pay attention to the specs of things.

I have also tried going into the Exe properties of Resolume and Quicktime and set (individually and both) to Compatibility of Win 7 or 8 (Resolume was not happy with 7). As well as Admin modes.

I saw some posts about Win 10 Game DVR causing Tearing. Previously I was not logged into the "Xbox Live" app that enables this. But the hot keys still worked. So I logged in to disable it. The hot keys don't work anymore, so I think this is a non issue.

Theme, I am using an "Aero" type theme. I have also tried enabling and disabling transparency for the Aero theme. I still get tearing after all this.

I did install 10 over Win 7, but I went back to the clean factory image of this laptop and got all my updates before doing so. Then once in 10, I updated all of my important drivers to 10. I may update everything before reverting back. But basically this is my last chance for 10, I am pretty savvy with PCs.

NVIDIA set as video card under NVIDIA control panel (confirmed running with GPU Z). V Sync off, Max Performance power. Clean installs done to remove the Win 7 drivers before it.
The tearing starts top left like this
The tearing starts top left like this
The clip has to change very quickly. Here is my setup
The clip has to change very quickly. Here is my setup
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

DHoude

Re: Screen Tearing Windows 10

Post by DHoude »

Some quick extras, been working with a programmer on this. We have uncovered the using the Intel integrated card has no tearing issue (and 30 fps).

On another Video application I was able to turn off DXVA (Direct X Vid Acceleration) and use NVIDIA with no screen tearing. Not sure where to go with that, but I can't seem to find a setting in Resolume like that.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Have you tried turning *on* V Sync for Arena in the Catalyst Control Center?

Screen tearing is caused by an application sending a new frame while the monitor hasn't finished painting the last frame. So halfway through, the new frame will be painted instead, which is the tear you see.

Vertical Sync forces an app to only send a new frame to the monitor when it has finished refreshing.

I don't want to get in a pissing contest with your tech, but codecs or the Quicktime API have nothing to do with tearing. How a frame is loaded has no effect on when that frame is sent to the monitor.

leadedge

Post by leadedge »

I have been interested in looking into any tearing, flicker etc. which could affect Spout texture sharing. Sync issues are important if the read or write happens part way though one or the other of the sending or receiving app.

Although I don't think there is anything related to DXVA , I find that reports of problems go quite a way back for decoding and playback. The best advice perhaps is to look at "DXVA checker" (http://bluesky23.yukishigure.com/en/DXVAChecker.html).

Look at the "DirectShow/MediaFoundation Decoder" tab. There is a "Target" dropdown at left. I expect that "DS + MF" would be the one to select. Then "DST/MFT Viewer". Scroll down the lists and any in red will be DXVA related. Click on the item and see a "DXVA" button that allows enable/disable.

It seems to me that this affects the particular encoder or decoder but maybe this could do something for you and it is worth a shot.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks guys! I will test tonight. I will probably go back to Win 7 this weekend, but it will help to understand the issue first.

I can say for certain, NVIDIA with DXVA seems to be the issue. I can disable that in Virtual DJ and get no tearing.

I did try V Sync enabled and disabled and still get screen tearing. I was familiar with that setting from Serato Video too. Had major tearing there in Win 7 (a while ago). I actually had to install the Core AVC codec to get Serato to run at an acceptable frame rate and not tear.

Thanks for the help! I too agree that Codec does not seem like to issue. The programmer friend thought it was dead wrong also. I am sure I am explaining it wrong because I am new, but by the end of the session with the programmer even he said that explanation might not have been as wild as he first thought.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Sorry for the delay, So the Target option has "DS + MF (32)" selected by default. Should I change it to anything specific like 64 bit? Just kind of wondering what I should and should not mess with.

For "DSF/MFT Viewer" I only have 2 red items under the DirectShow box I have "Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder" and "WMVideo Decoder DMO". I am looking around a bit and deciding an approach here and I am not seeing anything for MOV files. I understand that MOV is Quicktime and not DirectShow, but all of my Resolume files are DXV encoded so in turn are MOV. Any suggestions?

I should also mention that I have not installed Spout yet on the Win 10 install. I am just testing individual components first to make sure I have a solid setup for each.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I should also mention this thread on the NVIDIA forums: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -gtx-870m/

It seems to speak about my problem exactly and mentions my 870m card in the first sentence. Also to note that they are using Windows 8. I will say that I am using Full screen mode on Display 2 in Resolume.

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

Hi, has there been any update / solution to this?
I have the exact same problem after updating to windows10 - diagonal screen tearing. It also happens in other programs like Firefox, even on simple text+img webpages (tho not as strong), which to me proves this is not a codec problem, rather something Windows or Nvidia related.
Running a Geforce GT 750M in a Dell XPS 15 (2014 model). Using internal graphics prevents screen tearing.

As going-back to windows 8.1 is not really an option for me I would rather appreciate any help in fixing this.

mfo
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mfo »

Btw. you can find threads to this problem all across the board:
Microsoft:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ab1?page=2
Firefox:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic ... &t=2954255
Nvidia:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... -tearing-/

p.s. Wouldn't this thread make more sense in the "Problems? Bugs? Solutions!" forum?

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

My solution is not what you want to hear, I went back to W7. It was a pain, but there were a few challenges with 10 and I just didn't have time for that. One of which could possibly be not Nvidia-Win based, but Quicktime not supporting anything past W 7!

Sure there is a work around to install it anyway and you can run in compatibility mode.. Wish there was a way to get away from Quicktime. Keep in mind Direct X 11 for Win 7, then Direct X 11.x versions for Win 8. Which is why Quicktime may have worked in 8 for you. Win 10 is Direct X 12, there are definitely some possibilities for issues there.

Either way, for now I have no interest in going back to 10. I may try in a few more months after some other events. I am hoping for Quicktime to catch up, but if they skipped 8, it does not look good. I am interested in helping a bit if you are up for it. I am not sure how much help I will be as I can't test anything.

I didn't put it in problems because I know it is not Resolume's fault.