Overlay instead of restart for VJ Touch Pad

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Overlay instead of restart for VJ Touch Pad

Post by Wasko »

Hey,

I'm trying to create a sort of VJ drum machine using an APC40. I've been making a series of short and simple geometric animations in After Effects (for instance, a circle quickly grows and fades over 2 seconds). Using my APC, I'm assigning these animations to the grid of pads so I can manually drum and layer visuals along to music live. My issue is, clips on the same channel will either cut from one to another, or restart when I select them. This is the nature of Resolume, but - I'm trying to find a way to just have them overlay instead of restarting within the same channel. This will prevent me from having to have a different channel for each clip just to overlay them. If I press the same pad twice quickly, I want to have the 2 circles generate, grow and fade rather then starting and quickly restarting the clip. If I press the circle pad and then trigger another animation - I want them to overlay instead of cutting eachother out.

I've been exploring Touch Designer to try and work this out. But it'd be great if I could just do it within Resolume. Any ideas for a workaround?

Thanks !

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Overlay instead of restart for VJ Touch Pad

Post by Joris »

This is exactly what the free layer target is for :)

Composition Menu > Clip Target > Free Layer

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

:o
This is perfect ! Thank you !

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Is there a way to have a single clip make use of the free layer? It works with different clips on the same row - which is fantastic and more then useful - but a single clip can only repeat? Am I wrong?

Either way - very exciting.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

No, a clip can only ever play in one layer.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Thanks for continuing to respond to my questions. I have one more: I want to have a row be background textures to play behind my overlaid clips. When I upload a background video into my dedicated layer and select it, it's being loaded in my free layer and preventing me from using my AE clips properly. Is free layers a global function - or can I select a row to use it?

Like - have some clips continuously play in the background, then manually overlay clips on my touch pad on top of it? I am having trouble controlling which clips go to my free layer. This would be fine if I wanted to only use my short beat mashing clips but I want some looping textures in the background.
Last edited by Wasko on Mon Feb 29, 2016 18:49, edited 1 time in total.

Joris

Post by Joris »

It can be set on the clip level too.

https://resolume.com/manual/en/r5/clips ... ring_clips

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Awesome, thanks.