New to Resolume Arena

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: New to Resolume Arena

Post by Oaktown »

@ Digi, have you used this before?

Also I'm not sure what you mean by DVI is crap.

Digi
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Digi »

Oaktown wrote:@ Digi, have you used this before?

Also I'm not sure what you mean by DVI is crap.
Yes I have one, but what I mean by dvi is crap is:
DVI can only drive 2560 x 1600 @ 60hz
Only one video stream
Short runs

Display port 1.2 can drive 4k @ 60hz
Better color
Multible video streams
Much much longer runs

Display port 1.3 which should be on the newer 1080's
Better color
Even longer runs
4k @ 120hz
8k at 60hz
Multible video streams
Adaptive sync
And a ton of other stuff that isn't applicable or important to Resolume.

It use to be the case display port wasn't signal compatible but these day's it is so hmmm what would you choose for a video data stream solution. DVI is becoming legacy including the technology that rides on it.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I just think one needs to be careful when making blanket statements on this kind of forum because not everyone reading these posts is well informed and we don't want them to take away the wrong information.

DL-DVI is not crappy, it is just not up-to-speed for projects that require 4K+ resolution especially if you need these outputs to be driven at 60Hz but as far as I understand there is not a lot 4K+ projectors available on the market and they are still super expensive so most people on this forum are not likely to be using them extensively.

As far as the specs you posted, you're sightly off, 8K at 60hz is not available using DP 1.3 but it is using DP 1.4 and the new Nvidia 1080GTX is supporting DP 1.42 (and HDMI 2.0b, DL-DVI) not DP 1.3

Now as far as Multi-Stream Transport (MST) goes, as far as I understand using MST hardware doesn't increase the output count on your GPU since each stream is treated as a separate output. Than means an Nvidia 980 card is still limited to 4 outputs and an AMD R9 card is still limited to 6 outputs. So even though the Nvidia 980 has three DP 1.3 ports, you can't use multiple MST hubs to add outputs to your GPU.

Also, I've done some pretty extensive testing with MST hubs in my studio and it's definitely not something I'd want to rely for an important gig. Most of my multi output projects still make use of DL-DVI and I often drive 6-8 HD projectors with 2 Datapath X4 processors off 2 DP outputs using DP to DL-DVI adapters.

Digi
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Digi »

Technology is moving to 4k and its not always about the fact its does 4k. It also has longer runs and convenience. I'm not sure why I'd want to invest in old tech even if I had to settle for 1080p devices. Its not like its not signal compatable and DP costs nothing to the consumer or the manufacturer. Sure a Datapath processor can be argued as it has reliability and at its cost it better. But do I want to be stuck with it till it pays for it self at dawn of being phased out. That's up to you.

Funk-tion Media
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Funk-tion Media »

Lots of ways to cook Digi. Professional live event production is still in the midst of switching from HD into 4K and beyond. I've been involved in production recently using a Barco E2 system that is constantly upgrading and changing both hardware and software to keep up. Through the usage of external hardware such as Datapath gear we are able to prolong the usage of the E2 system before upgrade.

Sure I am looking forward to upgrading our input cards to the new DP and HDMI standards. Its going to be great! But for now I love the fact I have routable distributed DVI-DL, HDMI, and DP 1.2 in and out. It gets big, big events done.