Obscure artnet converter problems

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Wasko
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Obscure artnet converter problems

Post by Wasko »

Hey all,

I've purchased this artnet converter (DMX 512 Art-Net & sACN (E1.31) to WS2811 WS2812 WS2801) in hopes of getting some content to my addressable strips through Resolume. I've gotten to the point where them artnet indicator LED on the device is lighting up when I play video content, but I'm not getting any sign of life on my strips. I've attached the cables properly to the best of my knowledge, set the subnet and mask to 0, 0 (and made sure resolume is outputting the same); I'm not sure what else to try.

I'm curious if anyone here has any experience with this particular device, or one similar to it. There isn't much documentation and what does exist is very vague and seems to assume a lot of pre-existing knowledge on the user (which I don't have.. yet).

Thanks! Here's the device, with all the instructions that I have found to date:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/221181172896

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Obscure artnet converter problems

Post by Zoltán »

do you have a lumiverse and fixtures set up in advanced output?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Yes, Lumiverse 1 outputting to 1 - 48 LED DMX Pixel Tube 16RGB, the bars in DMX Output are showing input, the device is showing Artnet data received; but it doesn't make it to the strip.. hmm.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

It sounds like you're getting data but no power. The Artnet device you're using doesn't inject power into your strip directly so what kind of power are you injecting into your LED strip?
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 07.38.04.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 07.40.06.png
Screen Shot 2016-05-30 at 07.39.57.png
So, Data and [-] are connected to your Artnet device and [+] and [-] are connected to your power adapter(s) for power

Here is a link to a manual for a similar Artnet converter for further information: http://www.electrondes.com/an6u1903_00/an6u1903_00.pdf

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Hmm, I'll look into this. Thank you for the response.

On each port of my device there is a spot to attach Ground (G), Data (D) and Charge (C); I had assumed that since the device is powered by an 5V AC adapter; that power would get to my strips through those channels. You're saying that this isn't the case and that they also need an external power source?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

it looks like you need external power supplies but even if you could use that 5Vpower supply to power all your strips you need to make sure that the amperage of the supply is enough to cover everything you're powering.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To put things in perspective, typical RGB 60/M 5V tape will require anywhere between 12 & 18 watts per meter so if you had 170 RGB pixels (max per universe), you'd be looking at roughly 3M of tape which would be 36W to 54W or 4A to 10.8A which is why your controller is likely to require external power supplies to power the 6 strips.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

Hm, thank you. It's a 1 meter 5V strip; the settings in Resolume were just a bit of test in that regard.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Since you're using only 1M, a 4A 5V power supply should do the trick whether you're using 30/M or 60/M RGB strip.

Please report back when you get it to work.