Blending Mode Definitions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Blending Mode Definitions

Post by Arvol »

Hello everyone,
Sorry if this is a repeat post, I tried searching with no luck.
Does anyone know if there is a detailed definition guide to each of the blending modes Resolume offers? I was hoping to find answers to what each and everyone of these modes exactly does. I know the basic mode's but some of these are so similar I'm curious to what they exactly do. Anyone?

Thanks

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: Blending Mode Definitions

Post by Oaktown »

You'll find that in the manual under The Included Effect>Video Effects. The link to the manual is in the software under Arena>View Manual

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Just checked that out and all I could find was the FX, not the blending modes and their definitions. I'll keep looking, but If anyone has it off hand and would mind copy/pasting it. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks for the help :)

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

My apologies, it used to be in the manual but it's not there anymore! I used to teach a class in projection design using Arena 4 so the list of blend modes was in my handout:

50 Add Add the RGB value of each pixel in the layer to the RGB value of the input.This mode and 50 Lighten are useful when audio-visual clips are being mixed. They mean that the audio and video faders can be used together and make sense (When they are faded right up, you hear the audio from all layers and see the combined video from all layers)
50 Lighten Take the lightest pixel from either the layer or the input.
Add Mix the video so that at 50%, the layer is added to the input. At 0%, only the input is shown; at 100% only the output is shown.
Alpha A simple crossfade effect. It is usually better to use Add or Lighten instead, as this mode tends to lead to dull looking output when layers are mixed.
Burn Darken the layer to match the colours of the input.
Cube Places the layer and the input of individual sides of a cube and then rotates the cube.
Darken At 50%, the darkest colour from the layer or input will be shown for each pixel.
Difference At 50%, the video is the difference in colour between the layer and the input.
Difference I Just like Difference but the output is inverted.
Displace Displaces the input based on the luminance values of the layer, giving a glass like effect.
Dodge Like Burn but the layer is lightened.
HardLight The mix mode with the longest definition in the Photoshop manual.
Lighten At 50%, the lightest colour from the layer or input is shown for each pixel.
LoRez The output slowly pixelates, and then un-pixelates to reveal the layer. Yes, un- pixelate is a word. Look it up.
Luma is Alpha The luma (brightness) of the layer is used as the alpha channel (transparency), so that the darker parts of the video will become more transparent. White parts will be fully opaque.
Luma Key The opacity slider is used as a threshold. Pixels in the layer that are darker than the threshold are not shown. Pixels that are brighter are shown at full opacity
Luma Key I Just like Luma Key but pixels darker than the threshold are shown.
MetaMix The output fills with ever smaller copies of itself, until it deconstructs into the layer.
MultiTask Like the cover flow effect from your iTunes, your iPod, your iPad and all other things starting with i.
Multiply The layer and input are combined by multiplication. This usually results in quite a dark output but is very useful if either the input or the layer are bright and high contrast - it then works as a mask.
Parts The layer eats up the output chunk by chunk.
RGB One by one, the Blue, Green and Red channel is removed from the input, until the layer is fully revealed.
Rotate X The output shows a rotating panel. As the panel rotates past horizontal, the input is switched for the layer.
Rotate Y Just like RotateX but the rotation is vertical rather than horizontal.
Screen A nice crossfade effect that usually gives a bright output when the layer and input are combined.
Shift RGB Pulls apart the Red, Green and Blue channel of the output, and pulls in the channels of the layers.
SoftLight Another crossfade effect that works well for some content.
Static Degrades the output until its replaced by the layer.
Subtract At 50%, the dark parts of the layer are overlaid over the input.
Tile The output is replaced with smaller copies of itself, which in turn are replaced by the layer.
TimeSwitcher Back from R2.41 after popular demand, this blend mode automatically switches between the layer and the input with a frequency controlled by the opacity slider.
Wipe Down The input is pushed down by the layer.
Wipe Ellipse The input is replaced by an opening circle, revealing the layer.
Wipe Left The input is pushed left by the layer.
Wipe Right The input is pushed right by the layer.
Wipe Up The input is pushed up by the layer.
Zoom In As the slider is moved, the output zooms in on the input and then out on the layer.
Zoom Out As the slider is moved, the output zooms out on the input and then in on the layer.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

No worries bud.
Thank you so much!! You are the man! VERY helpful.

manymanyhaha
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by manymanyhaha »

Have to say, been struggling with Blending Modes for awhile. I re-read the definitions in this post often but the one thing that just flipped the light bulb off was this: "Add - Mix the video so that at 50%, the layer is added to the input."

After I re-read that for I don't know how many times, I finally followed the instructions and yep, sure enough, need to put them at 50%. Think I was struggling because default was Alpha and Alpha at 50% is washed out and sucks. But Add at 50% is perfect.
live stream of music catalog to Resolume youtube.com/@manymanyhaha/live

tijnisfijn
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by tijnisfijn »

or you can just take the 50% Add on top... than you'll never miss the mark.... ;)