Securing Content - Secured Media Library ???

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
chenthemagician
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Securing Content - Secured Media Library ???

Post by chenthemagician »

Greetings all,

I am working on trying to streamline my operation a lil bit, and I wanted to find a way to secure content on the machine, much like a few other servers lock their supplied content to the hardware, now does anyone have any idea how I can do this with Resolume in the mix, in essence a secured media library...???

Cheers
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Creating Solutions, Tailored to your needs!

Repping from the 876 - Jamaica "Out of Many, One People"

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Securing Content - Secured Media Library ???

Post by Arvol »

Personally this whole idea sounds awful haha, sorry. Just my 2 cents. Now that I've stated that, Let me try to throw a few idea's around in the 'ol think tank.

I fear the biggest problem is going to be the access time between computer and resolume..... maybe it won't be an issue??

Maybe find something like bitlocker that will encrypt a drive or partition and ONLY store your content on said device. Use a usb key to access the files and take the usb key with you when you step away from the computer.

Here's my questions for this method:
How long does it take to decrypt said device?
Once decrypted, does it run and load just as fast as if the files were setup on a normal drive without all this extra crap?
Will resolume play well with decrypted files?
HOW secure is this? Can other people easily decrypt this? And if not (it being very secure) does that affect the decryption time? (basically balancing security and performance time).

I do alot of work in the music industry as a producer and sadly Ilok is a thing i have to carry around with me (multiple keys). 1, it takes up room in my bag, 2 it makes me loose a usb port, 3 oh crap what if i loose one and need my stuff right now.... get the hence of my frustration?

I'm not sure whom you are trying to secure this from? Co-workers, clients, rival VJ's?

If basic minimal security would suffice, maybe just "hide" the folder.... deep, deep, deep within other folders in a really strange location such as a system folder that contains system sounds or some crap like that (something that won't get touched upon updates, can always lock folder from system as well)
THEN, pre-build all your comps so there won't be any "searching" for files on show day.
(side note) not sure how resolume codes their comps, if it lists full system file path and if that is readable by people who open the comp file in a text editor (end side not). For your basic dummies, they won't ever find your files that way. especially if the files and folders are hidden.
For the more advanced system ops, not so much.... So again, It really depends on who you're trying to hide this from. The usb decrypter sounds like a good start, but I wouldn't know how it affects performance.

And I personally HATE stuff like this that requires a "dongle" usb or db25 (for you older cats in here). Just one more thing to loose (a reason i left the iphone, or year of the adapters phone).

You could also assign custom user logins and install a keylogger, this would show you what user copied what and you can use that in a court of law..... that might be a simple solution.
My previous company i worked for (senior network administrator) made a custom EUA before the login screen so by logging in they agrreed to the terms in the EUA (ours was if you copy any files to a webserver/email/or usb stick you will be prosicuted and you give up the right for a defense) the EUA along with a key logger (hidden and locked down) was a perfect deterrent for stuff leaving the system that shouldn't be messed with. Not sure what country you live in and what your laws are, but I would look into that option personally :)

Sorry for the long winded email, this is a tricky subject. Hope some of this will get the gears spinning for you.

Best of luck :)

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

So you can do this with the local group policy editor on windows. You lock out windows explorer from accessing the content folder. Resolume still has access but if you right click and go view in explorer it just gives you an error dialogue. No performance loss, you just can't access folders. Usually I would only leave the content drive accessible.

I used it so rentals wouldn't just randomly delete things by accident, but in effect it makes it really hard to steal the files as well.

You also can make it for the nonpassworded account while the admin account doesn't have these restrictions.

chenthemagician

Thanks dinga & drazkers,

Dinga - more along the lines of no one will delete or try to take the content from the drive illegally, the scenario is me creating a rental machine and have my personal machine separate, for the additional USB devices needed i'm trying to not go that route really...

*sidenote* i'd love to create a lock screen for the computer that doesn't affect resolume, have no pesky passerbys messing with it at FOH *end sidenote*

Drazkers - yeah will have to look into local group policy editor, and give that a try...and do the dual login bit.
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Drazers suggestion seems to be the best fit IMO. Good thinking!

Digitrevx

Post by Digitrevx »

I'm might be over simplifying the problem but I'd take the HD out of the machine. If its a laptop I understand that's not realistic. But I also don't know why a laptop isn't always under your personal supervision if in a public area.

On the other hand I take a small tower with me even on planes and always remove the HD's during travel for both security and reducing the risk of damage of both the hardware and the project files on it. I also back my data up ofc on 2 extra HD's and the pc has a physical key and lock.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Digitrevx, If the laptop has Thunderbolt or usb 3.1 That seems like a really good solution. With the transfer speeds where they are today, I don't see why using one of those solid state external drives would be out of the question.

You can have certain content on certain decks linked to said hard drive and the rest of the comp can still function without the missing content.

You would probably have to close resolume when doing the swapping as the program accessing the folder would give an eject error.

chenthemagician

My scenario is creating a rental laptop, separate from my personal laptop, however, with the rental of said laptop, if someone else is using it, and I have my content on it, i don't want that person to have access to remove my content on it and/or mess up the core machine itself. Same for an external drive...
HP Omen
8 GB RAM
i7 7th gen 2.8 GHz
Win 10 Home
Nvidia 1050 GTX

Asus G751J - 860M
i7 4710HQ 2.5 GHz
8 GB RAM

Livid OHM RGB Controller

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Creating an unprivileged user for rental access and setting content file and directory permissions for that user to read only should be able to do that.
You could include things like this on your rental contact, so when they mess up the machine anyways you can charge a fee for restoring it.
Having a backup on an external ssd makes restoring a machine fast.

these would not stop the user from stealing content.
and if the user wants to mess up/hack the machine and has the knowledge, he can find a way, so preparing for that with a good backup strategy and contact woluld be my way to go.

btw, if the user can play the video files, he can steal them using a capture card.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu