Christmas Project

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
pmbarber
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Christmas Project

Post by pmbarber »

Hello all. I am still learning this new software, but I have come a long way in just a few months thanks to the help of the members here. I am kind of lost on this project and need a little help.

I am attempting to project individual colors on certain parts of a home, and would like the colors to go off and on at different times with beats of music. I'm probably not giving a very good description of my idea. I have tried to search for a solution, but I'm not sure what to even call this setup.

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Christmas Project

Post by Zoltán »

you could try animating the opacity of the color clips to FFT input.

if it's only one song then you could create a video with the flashing colors in sync with the audio and play them as one clip. Then map the color areas to the building in advanced output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Hi pmbarber,
This sounds like a fun idea!
Will you be using projectors or DMX lighting fixtures?

In regards to the composition, I would setup a solid color input source on several layers and map those layers X & Y positions all around the comp. You would want setup those positions to fit on the house via projection mapping or DMX fixtures. If it's a DMX fixture, your positions don't have to be spot on as all of the mapping can be done internally in the advanced output section. If you are using projectors, the X & Y positions will need to be a little more precise.

Now for the fun part..... Add the threshold FX on each color and crank you saturation and brightness all the way up, then play with the hue on threshold 1 and 2 to get the colors you want.
Now to the left of the threshold slider, click the small arrow and select external audio for your input source.
(you will want to setup your audio in the preferences windows)
there will be a small audio meter, click the arrow next to that to expand it.
Then you will want to set your threshold slider to a start point about 28 and end point about 32 (to your tastes)
Then all you have to do is adjust the gain and the fall. the lower the fall setting, the slower it will take to change between the 2 colors.
Also, you can set what audio frequencies to listen to by adjusting the sliders under the audio meter. so on the bass hit, certain colors will change, and on cymbal hits, other colors will change.

Now just turn on all your clips, play the music and sit back and enjoy :)

pmbarber

Post by pmbarber »

Thank you for the very detailed explanation dinga. I have been at a loss of this for days on how to make it work. I thought about what ravensc suggested, but I don't have other software to create a independent video. I can't wait to get home and try your method and see how it goes!

Thanks again!

mooreryanj89

Post by mooreryanj89 »

I was wondering if you ever completed this Christmas Project? If so, what how did you make it work and what did you learn? I'm wondering every year my neighbor and I go toe to toe on holiday decorations. This year, I want to kick it up a notch and add structure mapping to the house to turn it into a gingerbread house. If you could provide any insight, thank you!