AKAI APC40 MKII and Arena 5

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
JAMES LOST
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

AKAI APC40 MKII and Arena 5

Post by JAMES LOST »

Hi y'all!

I've just bought the APC40 MKII and I was wondering if there is a sort of tutorial or hand-out
with shows me the best settings for this device, to work with Arena 5.
Sure I can program it for myself in the best way possible, but maybe there are some neat tips or tricks
to optimize the performance.

Kind regards,

James Lost

apocope
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: AKAI APC40 MKII and Arena 5

Post by apocope »

I'd also like to know about this! Haven't been able to keep my effects mapping correct when I quit Resolume and open it back. Thanks !

Digitrevx
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: AKAI APC40 MKII and Arena 5

Post by Digitrevx »

I got one not long ago, I can't say I've had the problem of loosing mappings after I've closed Resolume unless your composition mapping and not opening up the project you mapped everything to. In Application mapping no matter what you do it should always remember.

The way I'm mapping mine right now is using the buttons in the grid for strobes and momentary effects and chasers. I intend to choose the clips that represent the music with a touch monitor and only intend to use my midi controller for effects.

Pretty much all my buttons are dedicated to versions of strobes animated strobes and chasers like inverted stencils or regular white patterns that move.
I have one button on the grid that bypasses my main 4 layers of clips to show an alternate set of layers for unique sounds in the music.

I use the knobs above each vertical column of buttons on the apc to control the hue of the colorize effect assigned to their layer to add color to my chasers and strobe patterns. I have one exception to a knob on a column that controls the frequency of my most general strobes.

The faders at the bottom of the controller are assigned to attributes of effects on the composition like low rez and how pixelated I want it. I also assigned a button above each fader to just quickly turn off and on the effect since the fader only controls a attribute of each effect.

The small buttons above each fader are actually assigned to the columns I talked about that turn on and off effects assigned to their layers like polarkilado as an example. When one of those buttons are selected a effect will be applied to all the buttons in the vertical column on my apc to help clarify the layout.

The buttons that would normally control the bank select control the clip play direction. Some of those buttons change layer routers I've set up to go from 3 duplicate screens to one large image.

The nobs on the right so far I'm only using 2. One controls the speed of the clip selected and another controls the transition time of all the layers.

I'm also using the button labeled clip stop on the apc to stop all the clips active in Resolume. The buttons around it to I'm using to bypass and black out the visuals with a piano style trigger.

Again this is just how I'm setting up mine because I tend to set up the show beforehand in the deck like a story or time line that is unique to every show so there is no way I'll have enough keys on the apc for that. So I use it for effects only. Everyone's situation is different so there is no right or wrong way to do it.