batch converting whole files of videos

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
4eyes
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: batch converting whole files of videos

Post by 4eyes »

JimmyP wrote:i use a hot folder with Adobe Media Encoder. i drop all my video files into a folder on my desktop and the program converts it and spits it back out in DXV3. its awesome.
Sounds rad!

Mind explaining how you set that up or pointing us to a tutorial?

Cheers,

thetylerherron
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: batch converting whole files of videos

Post by thetylerherron »

This is pretty simple to do in Adobe Media Encoder.

First, make a folder somewhere where you will dump the files you want to batch encode. I have a folder on my main content drive called "DXV3 Encode" and then 3 folders inside:
-DXV3 Encode
---DXV Output
---With Audio
---No Audio

In my preferences, I have Media Encoder default to the DXV Output folder. So if I drop in a random one off file to the main queue window, it will default there.

Now make sure "Watch Folders" are enabled in the Window menu and then click on the Watch Folder tab in the main window. From there click the + button and add both the "With Audio" and "No Audio" folders. That will add an entry into the Watch Folder window. From there you can set the preset you want the files dropped into this folder to use. I have a custom preset for DXV3 with and without audio. Both are set to "Match Source Settings" and use the DXV3 codec on normal quailty with alpha. Audio obviously keeps audio, and no audio strips it.

Now that is setup, as long as media encoder is running, any file you drop into either the "With Audio" or the "No Audio" folder will automatically be added to the media queue. There is a setting in the main queue window at the top that says "Auto encode watch folders." Check that if you want it to start automatically. Otherwise, it will just add the files to the queue and wait for you to click "Go"

As the files are done encoding, AME will put the output file in another folder inside the respective watch folder called "Output" and it will also move the source file into a "Source" folder as well (as to not encode the same file multiple times.

Watch folders will not encode sub-folders, so don't drop a folder into the watch folder. Drop a batch of video files instead.

Hope that helps! I've used this method to encode hundreds and hundreds of media content over a few nights. You can always pause the queue if you need the processing power back.

-Tyler