Protecting your content

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ReVolve
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Protecting your content

Post by ReVolve »

So I've done a few mapping gigs, a projection mapping with a dancer. I was always able to use my own laptop to send a video signal to the technicians. However the next one, technicians are insisting that I hand over the content to them so they play it from theirs.

I am very opposed to this, being that the audio and video content is produced by me, and if they have it, all they need is a dancer to learn the choreography and they have a free projection. At this point I am inclined to just walk away from the whole thing, because they will not give me any explanation as to why I cant use my laptop to launch it.

I was wondering if any of you guys face these issues and your experience on the road.

Thanks for any insight you might have!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Protecting your content

Post by drazkers »

They probably have a policy of not unplugging the media server or don't know how to repatch it. The best solution is supplying a USB capture card like a magewell. You don't hand over content and they keep the system intact.

Other option is doing the show off a usb3 ssd. The Samsung ones actually run real well with resolume, just secure it.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

If it was me. I would insist on keeping my content to myself and only using my hardware. That could be your livelihood they are walking away with. I would walk if they can't meet those requirements.

Again, That is what I would do. Just giving you my 2 cents. Do whatever you feel comfortable with. I've found out a long time ago to follow my gut instinct.

shudder_inc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by shudder_inc »

See if you can find out what media sever they are using. Most newer ones have a capture card you can feed live video in and that way you can still use your machine. If there isn't a built in card, identifying the server will help you to obtain any necessary drivers should you choose to provide your own capture device.

If it's a d3 server it already uses the DXV codec, so if there isn't a capture card the USB3 drive is a very good option. Unless this has changed with V4, Hippo will encode the content to a proprietary format so the content will need to be copied over to their machine. That said, Hippo does also have a setting so that content that is loaded onto the machine can be set to delete at a certain time automatically.

If they can't give you a explanation as for the change in process though, that does sound a bit suspect. It doesn't necessarily imply poor intent, but they should at least provide some type of technical reasoning.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

shudder_inc wrote:See if you can find out what media sever they are using. Most newer ones have a capture card you can feed live video in and that way you can still use your machine. If there isn't a built in card, identifying the server will help you to obtain any necessary drivers should you choose to provide your own capture device.

If it's a d3 server it already uses the DXV codec, so if there isn't a capture card the USB3 drive is a very good option. Unless this has changed with V4, Hippo will encode the content to a proprietary format so the content will need to be copied over to their machine. That said, Hippo does also have a setting so that content that is loaded onto the machine can be set to delete at a certain time automatically.

If they can't give you a explanation as for the change in process though, that does sound a bit suspect. It doesn't necessarily imply poor intent, but they should at least provide some type of technical reasoning.
Just a heads up to anyone just getting involved with D3, it supports dxv 2.2 but not dxv 3. If you need to prepare content for a d3 gig hap is preferred for high quality.

shudder_inc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by shudder_inc »

It's been some time since I've used d3. Thank you for the correction!

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

In any case, they can capture and record the live stream provided from your own hardware. :lol: