DXV codec is losing color information

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Mc128k
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DXV codec is losing color information

Post by Mc128k »

Hi all, I see that when I convert my Photo JPEG files to DXV3 (normal quality, no alpha), the colors are not matching. There are small differences in some parts, and a general glow effect seems to be present everywhere. Is it normal? Using high quality seems to fix it somehow (but it's still a bit different from the original), but it produces a huge file. Given that DXV is proprietary, codec support is minimal and it loses video quality I think I'll stick to Photo JPEG for my background videos. Even at the cost of something like 15% of performance decrease.

Did anybody else notice this?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: DXV codec is losing color information

Post by Joris »

Every codec is optimized for a specific purpose. H264 is optimized for size, DXV for performance, PJpeg for color accuracy. So rendering the same video in different codecs will always have slight differences. If you have a good reason to prefer one codec over the other, you should totally go with it.

Still, if you have a moment, I'd love to see some screenshots of what you're seeing. A glow around everything sounds like a bigger difference than I'd expect.

Mc128k

Post by Mc128k »

I'm currently doing experiments with codecs, and of course I'm choosing DXV3 for everything (for performance), despite the poor support for playing outside Arena. QuickTime 7 still works fine, until they deprecate it.

I see that the problem goes away with the high quality filter, and that's ok, this means I've got to check every single clip I convert.

Also there are BIG issues with smoke, probably due to a lower threshold with similar colors, I'll share a screenshot. I'll also post the other when I find it.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.24.16.png

Mc128k

Post by Mc128k »

Here's another where it's losing color accuracy, the faint glow effect is probably due to this.
No problem anyway, I'll just stick to the HQ (2.5x the size). Even if it makes MPEG Streamclip crash, damn.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-28 at 10.38.25.jpg

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I personally use HQ with Alpha (even when there is no alpha layer) for everything and don't seem to have any issues.

Managing the large files has become part of the territory and only becomes an issue in pre-production when we have to exchange files over the internet.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Oaktown wrote:I personally use HQ with Alpha (even when there is no alpha layer) for everything and don't seem to have any issues.

Managing the large files has become part of the territory and only becomes an issue in pre-production when we have to exchange files over the internet.
Ditto, on both points, for me over here.

Mc128k

Post by Mc128k »

Makes sense, exactly what I'm doing here now. Didn't try the alpha, I will test if it makes a significant difference with the size.