Pro Tools and Resolume

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Ravage
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Pro Tools and Resolume

Post by Ravage »

Just curious if anyone has had any luck or experience with using ProTools to trigger things in Resolume 6 (arena).
I have almost no experience with ProTools but just have an idea I am trying to work out for some concert ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Pro Tools and Resolume

Post by Arvol »

Not in 6, But it should operate the same as in 5. Just have a MIDI track output to Resolume.
I would highly discourage running PT on the same machine as Resolume.
PT is always going to be a problem child and needs it's own machine and babysitter/fluffer to take care of it.

Be sure to superglue, solder, weld, hire someone to hold in, your I/O cable :lol: . Had PT drop on a few shows due to the vibrations slightly rattling the IO cable of the PT machine in SL monitor world.

What are you looking to achieve?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

SMPTE would also be a good approach.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Also, using a 3rd party app like Vezer, you could actually trigger some complex cues by sending MIDI triggers to Vezer and create OSC cues in Vezer to control Resolume.

I've done quite a few projects with a composer who uses Motu Digital Performer and I actually use Vezer to trigger both DP and Resolume off of a timeline so that everything is always in perfect sync.

Ravage

Post by Ravage »

What I am doing is much more simple than what most people are doing.
Live band, drummer triggers the click track which is played by Protools. When that is triggered it will trigger Resolume to play a single video that is the length of the song. Next song is rinse and repeat.

That is all.
I create content for the bands and use resolume to play it back. but I have no experience with being able to use midi or SMTPE

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Create a new MIDI or Instrument track in PT. At the beginning of the track (or whenever you want to trigger the video) make a new note (have it play for for half a second or so).
Write down what MIDI key goes to what song.
In Resolume, go into Shortcuts and map the video you want to play with the same MIDI note. (Make the shortcut to "this clip")
Rinse and repeat for all your other tracks.

You'll need to setup an internal MIDI loop back.
You'll want PT to output to the Input of this internal loop back, and have Resolume use the internal loop back as it's Input for MIDI.
One I would recommend would be LoopBe Internal MIDI http://www.nerds.de/en/loopbe1.html
If you're on OSX then you should already have this option built in with the OSX Audio/MIDI feature using an IAC MIDI device.

And again, I can't stress enough how I would not run any other application on the same machine as PT :lol:
Unless they made changes in version 12, Having PT run throughout a show without any hangup's or crashes would be a miracle to me.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Arvol, he can just use 2 machines with the same concept,
and send the midi note over network (already bundled in for osx, and rtpmidi for win).

Ravage

Post by Ravage »

Forgive me for coming back to this almost most a year later. I am finally coming back to this project. Could anyone recommend the best MIDI interface for windows that works well with resolume? I have just about zero experience with MIDI or Protools. I am a content designer and video creator for concerts, I just need to be able to trigger videos using protools. I think I understand the concept of how to make it work but now it is the actual making it work.

Thanks for the help

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Copperlan