New Windows 10 Change Resolution Practices

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

New Windows 10 Change Resolution Practices

Post by Arvol »

Hey guys,
Came across a very unusual behavior this last weekend on a show.
When I went into my nVidia control panel, Or my windows display options control panel to change my connected screen's resolution (LED wall) the signal being sent down my 3G-SDI line was not what I set my resolution to.
Lucky for me I had a hardware scaler on hand and this got me by, but I wanted to really dig in and see why a standard windows practice I've been using for 20 years, no longer worked.

So now, when you change your screen resolution via the nVidia control panel or in windows display control panel, you're only changing the desktop resolution and NOT your adapters output resolution.
For most people this might not be an issue, but for an LED systems tech, this can cause a lot of problems...

(Example: I have a 400' 3G-SDI cable run from FOH to a stage, 1080p can only travel 300'-ish, BUT 720p can travel much further since it's less bandwidth, so setting the output top be 720p rather than 1080p, since my screen's resolution is Under 720p makes sense. So you set your desktop resolution to 720p, but it keeps sending 1080p even though that's not what you told it. Now you are not receiving ANY signal at your LED processor because you exceeded your signal cables bandwidth at that distance and you don't have a working show)

After a little googling, I found this solution that seems to be the fix for now. Even though my adapter settings showed 720p, I had to set it to something like 800x600@60 then right back to 720p@60 and then the settings took.

What you are looking to do now, is change the "Active Signal Resolution" rather than the "Desktop Resolution". This is a very strange behavior for windows to start operating under. Why wouldn't it change the output resolution like it has always done? I'm scratching my head on this one, if anyone has an answer that makes sense?

Anyways, Skip down to step 7 on this guide and it should get you up and running.
Hopefully this won't be a massive issue like the windows scaling was for a lot of people.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/491 ... -10-a.html

BTW, I called nVidia to inform them about this as well, I don't know how much good the phone call did, but maybe in a later release, when you change the resolution via the nVidia control panel, it will change the adapters output resolution rather than just changing the desktop resolution?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: New Windows 10 Change Resolution Practices

Post by drazkers »

Thanks for the heads up, certainly is a big thing to know!

cvanhoose
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by cvanhoose »

Are you sure your not experiencing an edid situation? If you are sending sdi, what was in between your output and cable?
Some adapters hold edid, which will cause what you were experiencing. By switching to a supported and detected resolution, you are forcing the edid.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

cvanhoose wrote:Are you sure your not experiencing an edid situation? If you are sending sdi, what was in between your output and cable?
Some adapters hold edid, which will cause what you were experiencing. By switching to a supported and detected resolution, you are forcing the edid.
Yeah, Unfortunately this wasn't the case for me. Check the link and it'll show you where to go to check what your adapter is outputting rather than what your changed "desktop resolution" is