ableton live + resolume

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
pieroc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

ableton live + resolume

Post by pieroc »

Ciao guys, is there anybody in there who's using ableton live and resolume in conjunction to perform live? If answer is yes, would you please give me an idea of the kind of things one can do with this two soft monsters linked together? Thx !

komar
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by komar »

Not really using Live but a rm1x, same princip.
What yu can do is a lot of automation, record a set,make some patterns (videos triggered) and just take care of the effects, link video to audio, what ever yu want :P

VJair
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by VJair »

Im the man in the middle....
I use an Rm1x and have just stated trying out ableton.
its all just midi sequencing realy....control of parameters / triggering / effects via midi..
resolume doesnt send midi signals yet,so u cant record in to ableton(or any sequencer)
Ableton is realy flexible with live rearranging, although the Rm1x is also good at this,but ableton wins on interface.obviously.

[Edited on 18-5-2005 by VJair]

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

I tried using Ableton for a bit, but it was quite involved. Then I found Quartz Audio Master, which is free.

If you want, it just shows a grid of notes, which is all I needed. It is a bit more limited than Ableton in terms of managing and triggering patterns however.

A useful tip - get yourself the MIDIOX utility and the MIDI Yoke driver if you will do this stuff.

Get Resolume and your sequencer to listen on a virtual port for input, not the real devices. Then you can wire the MIDI devices into resolume or the sequencer as you choose, without making any configuration changes.

pieroc

Post by pieroc »

Thx guys for the useful hints ... I'm a lot into music, more than into video, and Live is definitely what we were waiting for, so i'll guess i'll stick to Ableton and will download midiox ... kinda of a midi virtual cable ... like hubi loopback device i guess. Anyway THX & Respect !

1mpar

Post by 1mpar »

I´m begining a project where we will link ableton and resolume, with 2 laptops. Mine with resolume and my partner's with ableton.
Anyone knows what´s the best way to connect the laptops? Via firewire? usb? Can these 2 softs "talk" to each other via midi if they on different machines?

gpvillamil

Post by gpvillamil »

Originally posted by 1mpar
I´m begining a project where we will link ableton and resolume, with 2 laptops. Mine with resolume and my partner's with ableton.
Anyone knows what´s the best way to connect the laptops? Via firewire? usb? Can these 2 softs "talk" to each other via midi if they on different machines?
Umm, how about connecting the two machines via MIDI? After all, that is what MIDI is designed for. Get a USB to MIDI converter for each machine and run a MIDI cable between them.

You *could* connect the two machines with Firewire, configure the connection as a LAN, then run MIDIOverLan on each machine - but why?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Originally posted by gpvillamil
You *could* connect the two machines with Firewire, configure the connection as a LAN, then run MIDIOverLan on each machine - but why?
because otherwise he has to purchase two midi interfaces and a midi cable. but with midi over lan he could buy one ethernet cable or one firewire. seems resonable enough to me?

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Controlling Resolume with Live is pretty sweet! You can have sequences of video clips synced to the music at a much deeper level than using audio triggering. Plus you can automate FX as much as you want. Its awesome to have a 64-bar loop of video FX perfectly synced to the music.
The way I see it, triggering Resolume with Live allows you to do more because you can automate a lot of stuff you would otherwise do manually, thus freeing up your hands to pick clips, FX, play guitar, whatever.
Its pretty tight!

-ethios4