copyright issues

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

copyright issues

Post by VJ Nexus »

I don't know how the law is in europe, as I am in the USa, but I was wondering if anyone has come across any copyright issues while performing video at a show?

Most of the footage I use is my own, however, I know that the use of sampled footage is quite common. How does this apply in the eyes of the law? I know DJ's and other musicians often use sampled audio while performing live that they do not necessarily have permission for... Is this acceptable for VJ's as well?

I had one issue recently while I was doing video for DJ Starscream (of Slipknot). I displayed the slipknot logo on the screen as a promotion for the DJ and immediately his manager was all over me about copyright issues and that I couldn't use that logo to promote him. This is just a minor example - however lets say one were to use a sample from a major broadcast company - would you worry about getting in trouble!?

I would like several ideas and thoughts on this, and please keep in mind that I am not admitting to anything further than the logo I displayed - was just curious as to anyones input on this issue.

SuperficiaL
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by SuperficiaL »

hi Nexus,

i think its a question if the copyright owner catches u doing it. because only the copyright owner can sue you for using clips...
so it greatly depends on the footage you use.

on vj-forums theres a whole forum dedicated o these kind of isues, visit it HERE

good luck,
SuperficiaL...

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by NexusIntent
I don't know how the law is in europe, as I am in the USa, but I was wondering if anyone has come across any copyright issues while performing video at a show?
i'm from the USA too and here's a link to "fair use":
http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_a ... /chapter9/

also, from what i gather "public domain" is ok, but read up on it.

"creative commons" is usually ok, but read all the fine print:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/pub ... prelinger/

btw, i think performing at small venues should be ok (i don't worry about it).

also, if you were performing for that DJ then what's the problem with displaying his logo? that promoter was way uptight and i'm sure he would have lost in court - get my drift?

but it's always best to be safe/informed than sorry. any footage i have that is not mine i have in print, permission to use it and i've retained 2 copies at home/work, just in case.

VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by VJ Nexus »

I often perform in very large venues, and often for a large company (international company - one of largest corporation in the world - whom i prefer not to mention their name here) and they can be very strict on legalities. I understand fair use and creative commons (I took a class specifically on that in university) however it doesn't cover all aspects of the use...

My primary concern is the use of cut up documentaries and television commercials...

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by NexusIntent(I took a class specifically on that in university) however it doesn't cover all aspects of the use...

My primary concern is the use of cut up documentaries and television commercials...
oh, ok, yeah, then you have to be very, very careful. but it sounds like you've been doing this for awhile and everything has been fine so far, and the company still hires you to vj.

maybe you could create a snippet demo reel to company before performance and get their OK on paper (have 'em sign) to cover yourself w/company, as extra precaution.

if you took a class, then you probrably know more about this than me. and yes, "fair use" is not dead-locked in golden rules; it's up to the judges/court in the end...this whole copyright sChtuff is a bitch and gives me ulcers too. so i usually play it safe.

one other thing you can do, is to manipulate the footage you use, that you think could possibly be dangerous, in some type of editing/effects program, like after effects or adobe premiere, so that it would be hard to figure out where it comes from.

as far as docs and comms go, i would NEVER use t.v. commercials (actually i stopped watching t.v. 13 years ago, so i have no clue what's on).

now docs i use a lot of, but not real popular docs and again, some manipulation is down if in worry, or i take scenes that are less known, but still visually interesting (which falls into the 'fair use' category).

i also use a lot of educational flicks, but i also own a large collection of 16mm films that i've transferred to digital and so quality is rather good (also i investigated whether educ film company still existed and most have died due to video/digital take over, so no one around to sue me).

if in doubt, don't show or show w/effects or superimposed w/another clip and don't show as long.

hopefully this helps...btw, i'm currently going back thru all my own tapes and capturing/compressing and it's time consuming as hell, but i'm trying to increase my personal colleciton so i can veejay-freely w/out ulcers, ha.

hide
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by hide »

the only thing i have to say about this is that when promoting dj starscream on the net of anywere its not bad to use the slipknot sign at all its been done many times and nothing has ever happened if anything its a really good selling point for him.

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

i think its strictly forbidden to use anything without permission, especially if you try to make money with the work of someone else.
i use myself a lot of samples, but with a lot of cutting and mixing i create something new. i think these cutting technics are a kind of new artwork and its the only way you are allowed to do this: as an artist.

hide
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by hide »

i guess your right but telling starsream fans that hes in slipknot and using the logo is a good selling point but when your trying to make money for yourself thats i diferant matter. pus seeing has this topic was posted last year id like to ask how the video came out ?

juLiE

Post by juLiE »

Originally posted by DAS BEN
i use myself a lot of samples, but with a lot of cutting and mixing i create something new. i think these cutting technics are a kind of new artwork and its the only way you are allowed to do this: as an artist.
i agree ...like the sergei eisensteins of the digital age, ha. ;-)

also, i have a split personality and apparently what i wrote in this post awhile back is no longer true - i do not always play it safe, and lately i'm submerged in danger-zone.

regarding t.v. commercials, apparently C-Trl Labs (VJs) in new york use a lot of these; maybe ask them?

bises-peace-olah, juLiE

DAS BEN

Post by DAS BEN »

look at the best vjs, in my opinion the guys from ninja tune, hexstatic, coldcut, scalpel, they mostly just sampling, no cool flash and motion grafics, but their shows are incredible, playing with tv stuff like an instrument.