Seeking Advice on Setup for stage

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
myateshcc
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Seeking Advice on Setup for stage

Post by myateshcc »

Hello All,

I am new to the forum and seeking professional advice on projectors for my stage/environment. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I could do rear projection or front. Rear projection would have to to be the wide screen picture. Front projection would have to be used on the wider wrap around one. Thanks in advance!!

https://youtu.be/ZpN8tPW-khE
Attachments
HCC_Stage_Mockup2.png
HCC_Stage_Mockup1.png

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Seeking Advice on Setup for stage

Post by pfelberg »

If there's a chance of going rear I'd definetely go for it.
It is your only chance to get a better projection quality, since you have so many lights and moving heads on stage.
Be sure to try to protect your screen from receiving direct light beams or your projection will get as blank as possible. Also, DJs and Bands do like smoke on stage. Smoke is also enemy to projectors' light beams and can also interfere with projection quality.
So, again, placing the projector behind the stage may save you some lumens and might give you a better projection.

Paulo

myateshcc

Post by myateshcc »

Thanks so much for the advice! I am hoping to box in the projector from the rear if possible. This will also keep the haze out as much as possible. Thanks Again!!

drazkers

Post by drazkers »

I've always used two projectors when rear projecting a concave surface's as seen in the second picture.

If you only have one projector and rear project the first picture thats totally the way to go. You're going to find the limits of your angle if rear projecting from a single projector with the second picture.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

To give you a different opinion, I personally avoid rear projection whenever possible! Rear projection screen are not as bright as front projections and typically have drastic cones of vision so make sure you understand the specs of the screen you're getting.

When you do rear projection, you also need to pay attention to where you place the projector in relationship to your audience because the light source will be visible as a hot spot on the screen.

Also keep in mind that in the wrap around setup, you'll be dealing with different focal planes so ideally you'd want three projectors to pull this off beautifully.
drazkers wrote:You're going to find the limits of your angle if rear projecting from a single projector with the second picture.
I truly doubt one could hit every part of that screen with one projector from the rear.

myateshcc

Post by myateshcc »

Thanks all for the advice! I'm going to have to go with rear projection as the performers are all over the stage/riser setup. It would be great to do front projection off the top/front truss but I think I would get a lot of over splash on the performers. I'm still searching for the best projector(s) as the throw distance will be short, around 6-7 feet from the screen. I'm hoping 3000-3200 lumens will be sufficient. Please give me your opinions. Thanks in advance!!!

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

If I am correct, that will be about 2.3 meters. I am quite sure one single short throw projector wont be enough to project a screen that large. Anyway, short throw lenses will usually give you less brighter projections.
3K lumens? I'd go to 10K. Laser, perhaps.

Paulo

myateshcc

Post by myateshcc »

I'm working with a tight budget however I would like to achieve the best look possible. I'm sure a 10k laser is out of my budget.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... d_dlp.html

Will you take a look at this projector and give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

pfelberg

Post by pfelberg »

myateshcc wrote:I'm working with a tight budget however I would like to achieve the best look possible. I'm sure a 10k laser is out of my budget.
If my client can't pay for the projects' technical needs, then He/she will most probably not have it.
I am not supposed to take personal professional risks on a shitty presentation just because my cliente can't afford a better one.

Let's wait for other's inputs. You might be Ok with a 5K projector.
Last edited by pfelberg on Wed May 30, 2018 12:47, edited 1 time in total.

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Go with a smaller screen. If you’re stuck for budget you’ll end up frustrated. That looks like a large setup you’ve drawn, I’d personally be wanting to use 2 or 4 10k plus units!