3 conjoined screen projection

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Nexus
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

3 conjoined screen projection

Post by VJ Nexus »

This is a new attempt for me. On July 29 (see party announcement forum for chaos theory 3) I will have use of 3 conjoined screens across the main stage. I would really like to utilize this, without losing my layering features. Ideally I want to run 3 different computers, one for each screen. I have a midi splitting box, so I can send the same midi signal to 3 machines at once, it's just a tedious matter of building the decks. I'd like some extreme widescreen shots, which I will build, and others that are jst themed across all 3 screens.

My question is has anyone done this before? If so, what was your configuration and how did it work out for you? Am I going to have problems keeping the extreme widescreen shots in sync if they are run on 3 different computers!?

Here are my specs for the 3 machines - I actually have 4, I need to choose 3 and would like input...

1) Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB ddr400, 2x80 7200 raid_0 striping main video drive, 1x160 7200 system drive, 1x250 7200 secondary video, radeon 9800 pro 256, 2xcapture cards.

2) Athlon 2400+ 1GB ddr333, 2x80 7200 raid_0 striping main video drive, 1x120 7200 system drive, geForce fx 5200, 1xcapture card.

3) notebook - 3.4ghz p4, 1GB ddr400, 2x60 7200 - 1 system, 1 video - radeon 9700 mobility

4) 2.4ghz p4, 768 ddr333, 1x80 7200 system, 1x250 7200 video, 2xcapture card, geForce fx 5800(?)

I want advice on which 3 I should use, and if anybody has done this before... It is possible to rearrange some of the raid controllers to give all 3 desktops striping raid, but not so wiht the notebook...

mfo

Post by mfo »

One day past the gig - how did finally realize the conjoined screens thing? As stated above? How did it work?

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

gig isn't until JULY 29 - not june 29. I'm still contemplating it. Still need adice. I have been given a little bit of a budget to rent equipment, and am thinking of doing so. What would I need in order to smoothly transition from 3 comps to 3 screens, to 1 comp on middle screen and 1 on two outside screens, to one comp across the board? I was thinking an array of v-4's carefully wired? I'm still crunching this one in my head ... need advice or ideas - anything really - just to get the creative juices flowing...

levon

Post by levon »

you might want to have a look at http://www.resolume.com/forum/viewthrea ... 457&page=2

pixel shot is doing a 4 output set. maybe he could help you.

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

it appears as though all 4 screens have same output though - i'm looking to do domething more unique. Please read first post... If pixel shot has done something like this - please let me know your setup!!!

I need to rent any equipment I might need ASAP, and start experimenting as you all know it takes a little bit to get used to your equipment...

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You should think about the use of 3 edirol v4 mixers. you could the input all 3 pc´s into each mixer. so you can decide what you want. The same picture on all three projectors or every projector with an own picture. did it with 3 pcs and two mixers before. we connected one pc to both mixers and the other two pcs to one mixer each.

levon

Post by levon »

in the images pixelshot says he has 4 outputs

mfo

Post by mfo »

I've been working on quite the same thing. And i'm also in the process of forming an idea, how it could work.
I think the usage of 3 comps controlled by the same midi signal will sooner or later lead to an unsynchron output. That's why my approach is different:

Use 2 comps, connected via Resolumes Vidnet. On the first computer you create an 8:3 (2 times 4:3) picture - your panorama. Unfortunately this means, you have unused black stripes above and below your picture to fulfill the 4:3 resolution.
Than you send this picture to the second comp where you use the pan&zoom-filter to extract the left and right part of it. Put one to layer1, outputted on the correponding screen, and the second to layer 2, outputted to another screen(s ?).
You could even use freechain to create your own filter with predefined pan&zoom and optional mirror (maybe for the third screen?).
Of course you have to work with a high resolution on both comps (at least 640x480), therefore you will need to connect the comps using Firewire and FireNet (http://www.unibrain.com/evaluations/firenet.htm).

The big advantage of this approach is, you don't have to worry about splitting. You work all the time on the first comp, like you normally would do with one screen.

VJ Nexus

Post by VJ Nexus »

vidnet is too unstable for such a large event. Can't risk a crash. This is for BT and Junkie XL - no small names by any means...