triggering effect presets via midi

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
danklim
Is taking Resolume on a second date

triggering effect presets via midi

Post by danklim »

Hey, i'm trying to trigger effect presets via midi. I've made some presets on effects (accessible by clicking the P button on the effect), and thought I remembered seeing a tutorial where somebody assigned these presets midi commands to quickly switch to different presets. However, I can't figure out how to assign midi to these effect presets.

Can I do this? If so, how?

Or must i use a different way to assign midi to effect presets? If so, whats the best way(s)? Just by having a different clip/layer for every effect preset? Or effects clips or something else?

Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: triggering effect presets via midi

Post by Arvol »

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thank you. I just read all of that and it looks like what i'm talking about but i don't understand how to use the shortcut groups to apply midi mapping to the video effect preset. Can you please explain how to actually apply the midi mapping to the preset effect? For example, I want to apply a midi button to jump to a preset crop effect. How do i do this?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Zoltán wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 03:15
Hi Zoltán,
Is this something that was a feature at one time? If not could we add this request to the feature bucket list?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I'm a really big fan of this idea actually. I lobbied to make it part of the 6 release. People who know more about programming than me were worried it's too heavy on the render engine to quickly change settings like that. So the idea was axed because of potential instability.

There is something to be said that it might not be the most user-friendly and clear way of switching looks. As a user, you go down a rabbit hole of shortcuts that are linked to items which potentially no longer exist but are hidden in a dropdown. We have some ideas on how you could get similar behavior without sacrificing clarity and intuitiveness.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Joris wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 09:45 I'm a really big fan of this idea actually. I lobbied to make it part of the 6 release. People who know more about programming than me were worried it's too heavy on the render engine to quickly change settings like that. So the idea was axed because of potential instability.

There is something to be said that it might not be the most user-friendly and clear way of switching looks. As a user, you go down a rabbit hole of shortcuts that are linked to items which potentially no longer exist but are hidden in a dropdown. We have some ideas on how you could get similar behavior without sacrificing clarity and intuitiveness.
Right on :)

Thanks for the reply and insight Joris. Much appreciated.

danklim

Post by danklim »

Ok, im a bit confused. So this is not possible in the current version of Resolume Avenue?

If not, i'm thinking that the best alternative is to make different clips/layers with the different 'presets' for effects.... for example, putting the same webcam source in several clip/layers slots and applying a different crop effect in each one. That way i can midi map the clip or layer easily. Or is there a better way?

im_borealis
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by im_borealis »

danklim wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 17:34 If not, i'm thinking that the best alternative is to make different clips/layers with the different 'presets' for effects.... for example, putting the same webcam source in several clip/layers slots and applying a different crop effect in each one. That way i can midi map the clip or layer easily. Or is there a better way?
That's the best way I can think of. However, if you want to keep it in one clip, apply all the crop presets on top of each other, each in its own Crop effect, then put a middle man between your MIDI controller and Resolume (I myself like OSCulator). Make different events to trigger the crop presets. Each event should use OSC to unblock the desired Crop effect, and block all the others.

danklim

Post by danklim »

im_borealis wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 01:50
danklim wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 17:34 If not, i'm thinking that the best alternative is to make different clips/layers with the different 'presets' for effects.... for example, putting the same webcam source in several clip/layers slots and applying a different crop effect in each one. That way i can midi map the clip or layer easily. Or is there a better way?
That's the best way I can think of. However, if you want to keep it in one clip, apply all the crop presets on top of each other, each in its own Crop effect, then put a middle man between your MIDI controller and Resolume (I myself like OSCulator). Make different events to trigger the crop presets. Each event should use OSC to unblock the desired Crop effect, and block all the others.
hmm interesting, thanks. How would you make each the each event "unblock the desired Crop effect, and block all the others"? 

I see that i can midi map the bypass button, but it seems to be a toggle on/off (rather than 2 seperate buttons for on and off). It seems like that would be difficult/confusing/maybe not possible to make the events trigger just the correct crop effects to be triggered on and block all of the others, no?

I've never used OSC before but am comfortable with midi, is this just a unique functionality of OSC or can this be done with midi?

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

danklim wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 15:53
im_borealis wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 01:50
hmm interesting, thanks. How would you make each the each event "unblock the desired Crop effect, and block all the others"? 

I see that i can midi map the bypass button, but it seems to be a toggle on/off (rather than 2 seperate buttons for on and off). It seems like that would be difficult/confusing/maybe not possible to make the events trigger just the correct crop effects to be triggered on and block all of the others, no?

I've never used OSC before but am comfortable with midi, is this just a unique functionality of OSC or can this be done with midi?
I did this in bomes when I wanted this effect. I had one button that triggered all the opacities and then a set of selector midi buttons toggling bypass to select which one actually was enabled.