Multiple clips on 1 layer to use as mask

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Multiple clips on 1 layer to use as mask

Post by DHoude »

I have a Logo that we want to break up into 3 sections (done in Photoshop). We would like to use each of the 3 pieces as a mask, so a video will play in the White area of the logo (same video for all 3 pieces). We want to make 2 parts of this logo Audio Reactive.

So my problem is, without doing it long form with 6 layers, is there a way to activate multiple clips on one mask layer? Which would shrink this task down to two layers. I thought I remembered seeing this way back in the beginning.

I have been wondering if layer routers could assemble it all, but I just had to step back from it to think through a better approach for ease or triggering and to fit in into the existing project. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

pfelberg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Multiple clips on 1 layer to use as mask

Post by pfelberg »

Hi.
How about applying the same mask as a PNG mask for all three layers. Or, if everything you are playing should be masked, why not mask the entire composition the same way? Or, you could add the same PNG mask to each video properties.

just my two cents

Paulo

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I think I understand what you are saying, but I am not looking for several layers in 1 mask.

I actually need 1 layer to color 3 separate masks. The mask is the "PNG" (now encoded as DXV) is in 3 pieces. I want to make it all the same color or clip, but animate two of the masks independently.

I am playing with the Mask effect now to see if I can apply that mask to the clips. Might be able to do it in 4 layers using layer routers maybe? The layer routers pointing to 1 clip and each layer router masked. Not sure it works that way. In my head it is easy. :D

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

I was able to achieve the look I wanted in 3 layers (I can live with that). But I won't be able to change the back ground video on the fly. I basically have to copy the background (color) video clip to 3 layers. Then mask each clip with a different PNG mask. Then Animate the Scale on two of them.

I guess in the short term I can assemble a few looks ahead of time. But still think there must be a better way.