Compositions, Alphas and Projection Mapping

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
millst
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Compositions, Alphas and Projection Mapping

Post by millst »

Hello

I'm sure what I am trying to do is easy but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I have 2 projectors, projection mapped onto different surfaces.
I want one set of video's going to one projector and a completely different set going to another.
I want to overlay alphas on both sets.

I can figure out how to do it on one, by creating a video layer and then an alpha layer on top and sending the composition to it.

But if I put another video layer and alpha layer below that, I only seem to be able to send the Video OR Alpha layer to the other projector, not the composition of both.

Is there an easy way to split of the composition of multiple layers like this.

Composition - To projector 2
Layer 4 - Alphas to Projector 2
Layer 3 - Videos to Projector 2
Blanking Layer - Contains black to prevent leakage up to layer 3
Layer 2 - Alphas to Projector 1 - composition of Layer 1 and Layer 2 to Projector 1
Layer 1 - Videos to Projector 1

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Compositions, Alphas and Projection Mapping

Post by Empyfree »

Just make your composition twice as wide and physically separate the content.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Compositions, Alphas and Projection Mapping

Post by Joris »

With Resolume 6, there's two ways to do this.

The easiest and most structured is to use groups, and then route each group into each side. It's very easy to keep track of what layer goes where and you get the bonus of a master fader for each side. It's also more performant, which can be a deciding factor on older or lower specced machines. The downside is you can't see both groups at the same time. Also structured is another word for rigid, meaning you can't really jam with what layer goes where live.

I'm on team Slice Transform, where you make the comp twice as wide and use Slice Transforms to position every layer or clip into the slice's sampling area. I really prefer it that way, because I can see what my output looks like at all times. The biggest advantage for me is I can swap, spread or duplicate content between slices easily. That way, I'm more tickled to try new combinations and have more fun.

There's no good or bad way, just what you feel more comfortable with.