Beat Sync Clips

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VJ Zeb
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Beat Sync Clips

Post by VJ Zeb »

Noob questions here: What is the process for making clips for others to use in a live session where I want them to be beat reactive to the DJ performance? The DJ performance will be done on Abelton and the VJ will be done by the venue VJ - not me.
What other parameters can be set up offline by me for the venue VJ to adjust during the live show?

I would like to provide flattened clips - not a bunch of raw clips on layers to be mixed live so that way I have as much creative control possible while allowing basic parameters to be adjusted during the live set.
I just purchased Resolume 6 Ave and working through the online training now.
-Z

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Beat Sync Clips

Post by Arvol »

Are you looking to make pre-existing clips beat map-able, or are you looking to create new clips from scratch?

I like to make all of my content I composite map-able to 120BPM and I use parameters such as rotation, X-Y shift's, zoom's, color changes, or scene or camera angle cuts to match the 120BPM metronome.
The big key here is making it seamless so the ending of the clip matches the beginning of the clip all the while staying in sync with the metronome.

If you're trying to make existing clips beat map-able, you may or may not be able to depending on the clip.
Look for parameters that I mentioned above and then you can pause the clip and move your beat markers in Resolume around to hit on those parameter changes. On a lot of those clips, be prepared to edit them in Premiere to make cut's or time/speed changes to make them beat map-able.

Once all of this is done, just use Ableton link to make Resolume match the BPM of Ableton. Your VJ will still need to hit the Re-Sync button to make sure the downbeats are in sync but besides that, you should be good to go.
Be sure your clips transport is set to BPM and not Timeline.

You could also have your VJ setup about 15-20 FX and have a MIDI controller turn them on an off. Set certain parts of the FX parameters to be BPM sync'd as well. This is a GREAT way to make clips that your previously couldn't beat map become beat map-able, as you just added a beat mapped FX to modify the clip.

UON
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by UON »

I think I have exactly what you're looking for!
I recently made a loop pack with a background layer and foreground layer. The background is formula-affected cubes, while the foreground layer is a light pattern around each cube. The transparency of the forecground layer can light up the cubes as seen in this example video (the link to buy the clip pack is in the post description)
https://www.facebook.com/uon.visuals/vi ... 601312201/
phpBB [video]

UON
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by UON »

Also, this one comes with different lighting layers which can be combined in a variety of different ways. This example video shows them all being faded in/out in different orders :)
https://www.facebook.com/uon.visuals/vi ... 015826146/
phpBB [video]