Blackouts when using NDI stream

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
danklim
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Blackouts when using NDI stream

Post by danklim »

Hi I’m trying to fix an issue with ndi in resolume, could you please help?

The issue is that Resolume keeps occasionally blacking out the image of my NDI streams. It will work perfectly fine for a short while, and then the screen will go black, usually for a couple seconds at a time. It will turn black every few seconds or a few times a minute. The list of ndi sources also keeps changing in the sources section of Resolume, as if it keeps losing connection to the ndi source. The icon for the clip will also say OFFLINE in red outline and the clip will go grey in resolume. I don’t understand why it would lose connection though… the NDI stream is just a screen capture from the same PC.

Not all ndi sources seem to be having this issue in resolume. I tried feeding another ndi source from the mac to resolume on the pc and there are no blackouts. I’m not completely sure of all the sources it happens or doesn’t happen with, but i know that I keep having issues with NDI sources that are screen capturing the full screen of my computer monitors (called Desktop-JI9VE6N ( GeForce GTX 1080ti 1... and 2).

I think that this issue is specifically with Resolume Avenue because NDI seems to be working with every other app. I tried routing the same NDI sources into the NDI Studio monitor and there are no problems with black outs at all. I also tried routing the same NDI source into OBS via the NDI obs plugin and it worked perfectly. I tried viewing the NDI stream from both Resolume, OBS, and the NDI studio monitor all at the same time and found that Resolume would black out while the others worked fine. I also tried routing the same source into a Mac and found that it worked perfectly fine the the NDI video monitor app on mac, but I had the same exact problem with Resolume on the mac. I’ve tried restarting all apps, restarting the computer, and checking for updates in resolume and PC, but haven’t been able to stop the blackouts.

What is happening? Is something wrong with NDI in Resolume? What can I do to try to fix to make it work without blacking out?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Blackouts when using NDI stream

Post by Arvol »

Can you try installing a Network loopback adapter and report back if that helps? I've had issues where NDI thought it was loosing a network path, ever since I installed a loopback adapter, NDI plays nice locally even without the internet :)

Directions:

1. right click on window start menu icon and select Device manager. Device manager window will immediately open (or you may use any other way how to open device manager window)

2. click on Action, and select Add legacy hardware

3. click Next on welcome screen

4. choose "Install the hardware that i manually select from a list" and click on Next

5. scroll down and select Network adapters from offered common hardware types and click on Next

6. select Microsoft as the manufacturer, and then select Microsoft KM-TEST Loopback adapter card model, click on Next

7. click on Next

8. click on Finish

danklim

Post by danklim »

Thank you Arvol. I just tried that, successfully followed every step that you provided, but am still having the same exact issue. I also tried shutting off computer and restarting it, and checked to make sure that both Resolume and Windows 10 are fully updated. What should i try now? Should i try it again... or is there something else that might fix it?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

What are the sources you are using? which ones work and which one's do not work?
I've been using Scan Converter and NDI camera's without any issues. I'll try to re-create if it's within my means.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Which version of Newtek NDI are you running on your PC?

Make sure you download the most current tools (v3.7) from their website: https://www.newtek.com/ndi/tools/

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

It's kind of obscure how NDI picks its network interface to stream over. Are you sure all apps are streaming on the same wired network?

danklim

Post by danklim »

I'm using the newest version of NewTek tools and was experiencing the issue with most/all of my NDI sources i think. I think that the issue was solved a few days ago when i connected the PC via ethernet to my router, haven't had this issue since.

This surprised me because i thought that, since the NDI streams that i was routing into Resolume on the PC were all coming from the same exact PC, it wouldn't require an ethernet cable connection to maintain stable connection on the same PC. Does that mean that every NDI stream that i route into Resolume on the PC is going all the way back and forth through my 100 ft ethernet cable to the router and back to the PC before going into Resolume? If so, that seems like a possible cause of lag and waste of network resources... any way to make the NDI stream just work locally on the PC without sending out and returning to the router?

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

NDI is a network protocol, so it needs a valid IP address on a valid network interface to work.

As far as we know, it's not possible to force NDI to pick a certain interface over another. So when sending and receiving on the same computer, you cannot be certain it will use localhost or 127.0.0.1 (if localhost is available at all). So it might end up switching to a self-assigned IP on the wireless or ethernet interfaces.

When you're connected to your router, your ethernet interface has a stable IP. In that case, as far as NDI is concerned, the connection is stable and it won't switch back and forth.

The length of the cable is not a problem. Data is sent down the cable as an electrical signal. It's not instant, but unless your router is on the other side of the Atlantic connected via miles of copper across the ocean floor, it will not cause any visible delay.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Joris wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:15 NDI is a network protocol, so it needs a valid IP address on a valid network interface to work.

As far as we know, it's not possible to force NDI to pick a certain interface over another. So when sending and receiving on the same computer, you cannot be certain it will use localhost or 127.0.0.1 (if localhost is available at all). So it might end up switching to a self-assigned IP on the wireless or ethernet interfaces.

When you're connected to your router, your ethernet interface has a stable IP. In that case, as far as NDI is concerned, the connection is stable and it won't switch back and forth.

The length of the cable is not a problem. Data is sent down the cable as an electrical signal. It's not instant, but unless your router is on the other side of the Atlantic connected via miles of copper across the ocean floor, it will not cause any visible delay.

You can turn Off "Automatic Metric" under advanced IP settings in your IPv4 Adapter settings and set it to 8000 I believe. This will make this NIC the preferred NIC to use for NDI (According to Newtek).
I called in for an issue I was having using one NIC for NDI PTZ cam's and another NIC for Artnet and TCnet.
Ended up just getting it to work with dumb luck, but this was a method they had me try.