Soft Edge of several projectors

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
VinicDiet
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Soft Edge of several projectors

Post by VinicDiet »

Hello Everybody...

I have a question. I need to build a projection wall with 6 projectors. 2 rows of 3 projectors as image attached.

But every time I set the soft edge I have problems with dark spaces. Can somebody tell me what am I doing wrong? Or how should I set the content?

Best Regards,
Vinicius
Attachments
projectors_setup.png

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Soft Edge of several projectors

Post by Zoltán »

Works good for me:
Képernyőfotó 2018-11-09 - 22.10.50.png

Could you upload your advanced output preset?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

VinicDiet
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by VinicDiet »

Thank you Zoltan...

As soon I connect the server I upload it to you.

Best regards,
Vinicius

Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Scratchpole »

Zoltan, have you actually tried this with projectors?

I did 4 in a grid like this previously as a test and a problem occured where all four projectors overlap because there is no compensation possible within the advanced output for the additional light added by the four overlapping outputs.
It may be possible to use a mask to compensate for this issue.

In a real world scenario I think it is best practice to use a set of three, more powerful projectors.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

The 4x overlap should be 2x darker, so if you run identical projectors with identical settings and all image processing automation disabled on them, the 4x overlap should be just right.
It would be great to see what you actually see and the preset you use before we can start putting together test rigs.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Scratchpole wrote:I did 4 in a grid like this previously as a test and a problem occured where all four projectors overlap because there is no compensation possible within the advanced output for the additional light added by the four overlapping outputs.
I think what you're referring to is the "Video Black", correct? What projectors are you using?

In a nutshell, multi-projector blends are tricky and are really hard to pull off well with low-end projectors that have low contrast ratios due to the sum of all the video blacks. So, unless you have high-end projectors with really good video black, having 4 projectors cover one single area is not going to look great when you have dark images.

Keep in mind that the amount of ambient light and the type of surface you projector on will also make a big difference!

Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Scratchpole »

Sorry it was a good few years ago that I did this test and it was not a great set of projectors BUT....unless something has changed with blending in R6....and maybe it has as from looking more closely at your image it seems there is curve to the corners of the fade.

All blends shown in your set-up fade from 0-100%. So when using this method, from the halfway point of the blend where all four projectors meet you have 200% of the brightness required. (4 x 50%.)

What I am suggesting for this set-up to work is that you should only ever have the output of two projectors overlapping by making a rectangular mask on two of the four corners.

Anyway I think this has moved beyond the problems of the opening post as it was the opposite, dark areas rather than over bright areas.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

Nothing has changed with blending from what I’ve seen or experienced over the years. I’ll admit I’m exclusively using larger barcos on corporates for blending and may be missing the small tweaks.