Question about PCI Lanes, bottlenecks and CPU options

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
crv74
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Question about PCI Lanes, bottlenecks and CPU options

Post by crv74 »

Hi folks,

my question is relative to add a Decklink Quad 2 to my Media Server, and if the CPU involved will bottleneck or force the primary GPU to work at 8x instead of 16x.

Maybe i cannot express my doubs correctly but i will try:

My little Media Server is on a mini ITX with a i7 6700K and a 1080TI, that have no issues since i don't have any other PCI slot

My second MS is on a mATX with a i7 8700K with a P4000, here comes the challenge: if i add a Quadro 2 that is a PCI x8 will it force the P400o to "work" at 8x also? Since the CPU onjly have 16 pci lanes that is my concern. Also i'm using a M.2 as a system disc, so maybe it uses 4 PCI lanes also (but seems that in the mainboard manual states that it uses a esata port).

I know that this is all theorerticall but i want to be sure before the upgrade if i have to build a new media serverm that would be on AMD Trheadripper CPU since all of them have 64 PCI lanes...

Regarding that, has anyone build a solid Media server on AMD TR, or is the majority on Intel CPUs? Just for curiosity, or if there is any known issue.

Thanks and i hope that i could explain myself quite clear.

Carles