Synchronized slices

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
steve88
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Synchronized slices

Post by steve88 »

hi all!

I have two ideas that I want to achieve using autopilot mode.
1) How can I synchronize multiple slices with different contents? (like this: https://i.ibb.co/DKwjtgJ/1.png) beat mode goes out of sync after some loops.
2) How can I change the input selection during the show? (like this: https://i.ibb.co/ggGPJpj/2.png)

thank you very much!
best regards

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Synchronized slices

Post by He2neg »

aoutpilot on multiple layers in combination with colom start. Or just auopilot on all layers...

1) Differnt Content / different Slices / Sync

- assign Layer to Slices

- when they have exact the same length you can loop them in sync if not then not... ;)
-> You can trim the videos in the clip panel

2)
I dont understand what you want to achive...
You may find a Solution inside the Slice Transform World....
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

steve88

Post by steve88 »

Hi, thank you for your reply!
Slice Transform world was totally new to me, so these days I'm watching this useful video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4ruvVcdXhY
until today I used to always connect slices to individual layers through the advanced output window. from what I understood watching this video, using slice transform you can connect a single clip, a single layer or the whole composition to a precise subset of slices. the situation I have is this: I would like to play video 1 on slices 1 and 2 (the video is correctly replicated via slice transform), while on slices 3, 4, and 5 I would like to play another video. note that it is important that video 1 (slice 1 and 2) is always played together with video 2 (slices 3, 4 and 5). the problem is that activating the autopilot the sync between the two slice groups is lost after a few minutes. this happens either using timeline mode with the same duration or using beatsync. have you ever tried to achieve something that requires a perfect sync? if someone has already succeeded, maybe I'm wrong. I have done a lot of tests, so I would like to be sure.

another doubt: has slice input to be set to "composition" to use slice transform mode?

thank you!

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

Slice Transform can be used at every "level" Clip / lay / Group / Comp

I still dont know why or what you mean with not in Sync.

It is the same Clip? Does it have audio? How did you start these clips (try to start via colum).
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

steve88

Post by steve88 »

Thank you again!
All clips have video track only (no audio).
I should make the composition totally automatic, but suppose that when I start the composition, I manually click on the column 1. Here's what I want to achieve:

Code: Select all

INSTANT OF TIME 1:
Clip 1 :
- 10 sec
- slice 1 and 2
Clip 2:
- 10 sec
- slice 3, 4 and 5

INSTANT OF TIME 2:
Clip 3:
- 5 sec
- all slices

Repeat from "INSTANT OF TIME 1" with autopilot.
This is may be the layer layout:

Code: Select all

LAYER 1:
| Clip 1 (10 sec) |--------| Clip 3 (5 sec) |

LAYER 2:
| Clip 2 (10 sec) |--------| Clip 4 (5 seconds empty clip) |
this seems easy using the autopilot function, because columns has clips of the same duration. but what happens is that the two layers lose the synchrony. for example clip 1 will end up being played together with empty clip 4, or clip 2 together with clip 3.
as I said I tested both in timeline mode and in beatsync mode.
I repeat it again for clarity: what I want is that clip 1 is always played together with clip 2, and that clip 3 is always played together with clip 4 (empty clip).

Thank you!
Best Regards

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

10 sec should be 10 sec in every layer.... so loosing sync is something that shouldn´t happen.

dubble check if you have the same speed & same transition time in both layers.

hint:
As empy clip you can use a solid color source (time is duration in ms)

Work aorund:
Render the clips next to each other as one clip (dubble wide) and only need to use 1 Layer for your setup (but dubble wide comp) [Example with 1920x1080 Clips]

Comp dubble wide (3840x1080)

first clip (clip 1 + clip 2) (3840x1080)
2nd Clip ( Clip3 + Clip 3) (3840 x 1080)

Advanced Output:
Slice 1 & 2 To the positon of clip 1
Slice 3,4,5 to the position of clip 2

Clip 3 will reach all Slices because its dubbled side to side
~Berlin~

steve88

Post by steve88 »

Thank you very much, I'm going to think about it!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

steve88 wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:34 another doubt: has slice input to be set to "composition" to use slice transform mode?
Using the Composition as the input for the slice gives you the most flexibility.
You can also have it set to a layer, but then only that single layer will be able to send the video to the slice.
Slices can also be set to take input from groups in Arena.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

steve88

Post by steve88 »

Thanks a lot for the answer! for what concerns the synchronization of two different layers I tried to do it triggering column 1 in two ways:
- via the timeline function: I used four 10-second clips, two per layer, but after a few cycles the synchrony is lost.
- via the beatsync function: I set the bpm to 60 and the duration of the 4 clips to 10 beats (10 seconds) each. also in this case the synchrony is lost after some cycles.

is it normal because Resolume it's not designed to do this? or am I operating in an incorrect way? It seems strange to me that it has never happened to anyone else, so I would like to know how to operate when you need to synchronize different groups of slices. is the best way suggested by the kind He2neg, that is creating a video with doubled width that contains both contents? thank you so much!

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

As i said i guess its something strange happening here....

I just set up a quick test with solid color sources and they stay in sync.

2 Layer with 3 Clips in each layer ( Layer to slice routed)
Duration 5sec
Autopilot both Layers to play forward
start via colom click.

running since 10 minutes and still in Sync.

Testing:
Can you just loop 2 videos on 2 Layers and see if they stay in sync.
Set up a new composition and place solid color sources with X sec and see if they stay in sync.

I bet at the end it is something very stupid little thing and we can blame the devs to hide it so well
~Berlin~