DMX map blendmodes

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Jkuyps
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DMX map blendmodes

Post by Jkuyps »

Hi,

I'm currently updating my MA personality for arena 6. Everything is working like I want to exept for te blend modes (layer blend and transisionblend). I cant get the values correct.

In Arena 5:
Send DMX value 1 = first blend mode
Send DMX value 2 = second blend mode

In Arena 6 I can't get it to work like this. Anybody now the correct dmx values for each blend mode?

Regards

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: DMX map blendmodes

Post by Zoltán »

In Arena 6 the multiple choice selectors are behaving indeed differently.
For a 4 choice item for example, you'd split up the whole range of one channel into 4, so 0-63 of a channel would be the first option, 64-127 the second and so on.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Jkuyps

Post by Jkuyps »

Thanks for the info. That's a pitty, this means adjusting the personality every time they add a blendmode.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

That has always been a problem. All the way back to when DMX input was first introduced on Resolume 3.

The only way to deal with it is to disallow 3rd party plugins and introduce new blend modes only at major point releases. That's a big creative sacrifice to make just to have consistency in a 3rd party control interface.

Jkuyps

Post by Jkuyps »

Hi Joris,

Nice to see you guys responding on the forum.

I don't see why this would hold you back on implementing new blendmodes with updates? People can decide if they update or not.

I never used 3th party plugins for blend modes but my gut tells me that they just are alphabetical like the default resolume blend modes. Why don't you just put them behind the Resolmue blend modes?

It would be a lot easier for updates if the blend modes where a fixed DM value just like you do with the connectspecificclip.
DMX value 1 - first blend mode
DMX value 2 - second blend mode.

If you implement a new blend mode, we don't have to change every value of every blend mode (because the number of blend modes changes). Only of the blend modes that are alphabetical behind the new blend mode.

If you put the 3th party blendmodes behind the default blend modes its also easier to quickly install a plugin and put the dmx values behind the default ones.
(example:
Dmx value 1........27 = defaults
From dmx 27.......255 = plugin blend modes.

So you can have a default show and just adjust it quickly for something specific. This would make things a lot more uniform.

This just looks like a better workflow.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I see your point, but that workflow still means you have to update your personality when we add a blend mode called Abracadabra.

The main issue is that the fixed personality paradigm does not hold up for a software that is being actively maintained and highly customisable.