Workflow for creating loops with Alpha?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.

Is this a good way to do it?

Yep, that’s the best way
100%
No, you fool! You need to etc...
No votes
Why would you ever need to do that?
No votes
Noob.
No votes

Total votes: 2

Jgrover
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Workflow for creating loops with Alpha?

Post by Jgrover »

Hi,

I’m new to Resolume, it’s expanding my mind...

So, I have searched a bit, and I just want to see if I have the correct workflow for this sort of thing.

When I generate or remix a loop and my result has Alpha content I cannot record that using the built in recorded in Resolume.

The best solution I’ve found is to record it using SyphonRecord to HAP with Alpha.

This is turning my 16 second loop into a 450MB file, which I convert to DXV 3 with Alpha Normal Quality in Alley.

Now I have a more reasonable 250MB file. I can drop that in Resolume and it works, but unfortunately, my 16 second loop has an extra second at the beginning and end, where I started and stopped recording/playback. I can take the loop and open it in AfterFX and export it using the DXV 3 codec with Alpha, and trim the start and end points to make it a clean loop or I can just adjust the start and end points of the loop in Resolume, but then I have to do that every time I want to use the loop.

Is this the best way to create content with Alpha in Resolume?

I feel like my workflow has about 3 steps too many in it.

Thanks,
Jake

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: Workflow for creating loops with Alpha?

Post by Grimm90 »

Resolume is not really intended to create media content.
I would say , there is no 'right way' to do what you do, most people create content in for example After Effects , and export this as dxv3 with alpha, to use in Resolume.
Or content is created generative / modified with fx live during shows, without the need to record & play the clip.

250-450mb for a DXV3 is still small, get used to thinking in gigabytes.

Jgrover

Post by Jgrover »

Yeah,

I’ve done a few things in AE and Blender.

I love making Generative stuff in Resolume. Its way faster (probably because I’m still learning the other two).

My main issue is that when I make something that looks great then I want to mess with it, and that can start making my computer cry if I START from a generative clip. (2018 i9 MBP with the cheaper Vega).

For instance. Today I made a neat thing that looked like fur.
Rings -> particle system -> Sphere -> trails

One clip, all good. But what if I want to use that clip with radial cloner the way that STVinmotion demonstrates for his packs? I put a copy of the clip on 4 different layers and start radial cloning the heck out of it. It looks great, but starts stuttering once I add my x^n clone.

If I do that with 4 video clips, the fans ramp up but it doesn't stutter.

I hesitate to mention it, but it would be so cool if there was a freeze or print button for clips.

I know that Resolume wasn’t built to produce content... but they made it so good at producing content!

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Jgrover wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 02:12 I hesitate to mention it, but it would be so cool if there was a freeze or print button for clips.
What do you mean?

I think your workflow is the way.
Record, trim, export.

About syphon recorder, if you're still on mojave (or earlier) and use version 15 (and earlier) can capture directly to DXV. If you ask me, I will go with Prores 444.
In the same way, you can use any other app with NDI support.

Remember you can set the clip to play once & clear, to simplify trimming on AE.

Jgrover

Post by Jgrover »

Genius!

So much faster.

Thank you.

Play once and stop is the obvious way to do this.

Can’t believe I didn’t think of that.

Freeze would basically be borrowing a feature from DAWs. You get a track sounding good, but you are running the plugins on it at extreme mode so just playing that one track makes your CPU explode. You right click, select freeze and the software renders the plugins as is into a file and plays the content back without using the plugins. If you want to change it you “unfreeze” and it reverts to being editable.

But this is a much better workflow. Thank you!