Does Resolum benefit from eGPU?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
nightjar84
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Does Resolum benefit from eGPU?

Post by nightjar84 »

Hi there,

I'm thinking about buying an eGPU for my Macbook. Would Resolume Arena benefit / use the eGPU?

Cheers

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Does Resolum benefit from eGPU?

Post by Arvol »

You might invest the money that you're about to spend on an eGPU and a GPU, and just get a quality PC laptop. For a good GPU and eGPU setup, you're going to spend around $1,000 - $1,600. You can get a killer PC laptop (new) for about $1,400 or even cheaper used.
Look for laptops with GTX1070 or 1080's, or RTX1070's.
That would be money better spent IMO.

I'm also super scared anytime someone rolls in with a eGPU. There entire show is banking on a small TB3 cable not coming unplugged. I can barely keep my cellphone (with the same plug) from coming unplugged when I'm working the same shows. People using eGPU's are brave! More brave than I care to wage my job on ;)

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Thanks for your input. Though, it doesn't answer my question. I don't want a PC...I want to stay on my Macbook.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I'm pretty certain the second part of my comment sums up my answer. Is it an upgrade if your connector wiggles loose during a show? That's a decision only you can answer ;)

In any case, the mac's GPU's are a joke and are notorious for overheating, so yes, any old GPU you throw into an eGPU would probably be a major upgrade. To answer your own question, just compare whatever GPU you are thinking about using to your macs current gpu, I'm sure it'll be an upgrade, just don't wiggle your cable.

Also, OSX has dropped support for Nvidia (Which Resolume works best with), So yo'll probably want to do some research on the forums for what AMD cards work best with Resolume, Or email in, I'm sure the guy have AMD recommendations.

nightjar84

Post by nightjar84 »

Thank you.

Regarding wiggle: Gaffatape the connectors ;)

I got a Razer Core X with Vega 64...lets see how that works. The new GPUs in the MacBooks are pretty powerful. Lets see how much I'll gain.

Best

chq

Post by chq »

nightjar84 wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 14:12The new GPUs in the MacBooks are pretty powerful..
..but they have no place to breathe.

Greetz Chris

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

I believe you need to render resolume UI on eGPU, so can't use the mbp screen.
If not, you still have a pretty slow TB3 bandwith. Every preview, filter, etc needs to render on egpu and come back to internal gpu to display it. That's a massive ammount of data for tb3 speeds. I think on that like having a superpowerfull gpu working over a 4X PCI.
But, what the heck, I really don't know. Is just my imagination over that. :lol: