Short Throw Projector recommendation?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Jgrover
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Short Throw Projector recommendation?

Post by Jgrover »

Hey,

I know that USTs are not usually the best option Due to the limit on placement, and some other concerns with edge blending, but I was wondering if anyone could help me decide whether this would be an ok fit for my setup.

I have mostly done mobile DJ stuff and I would really like to offer video.

I’d like to do rear projection onto a DJ facade and front projection onto a big spandex screen that I can mount behind the DJ.

I found a great deal on some Epson Brightlink Pro 1470uis with mounts.

This is usually a classroom projector, but it’s a 4000 lumen laser with a 0.25 throw ratio. I figured I could use one for a 100” 16:9 image on the facade and 2 edge blended for a 120-150” image on the screen behind the booth, or just one if there is extra room to do rear projection.

Anyone done anything like this before?

Jgrover
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: Short Throw Projector recommendation?

Post by Jgrover »

The manufacturer’s website says maximum size of 100”. I’m wondering if this is built into the Manual focus of the lens in some way or if it’s a brightness thing. If anyone has any experience with Epson ultra short throws, I’d be interested to hear about that.

Also, the wall mounts they come with have some nice adjustment mechanisms built in, I’m wondering if I can hack them into a clamp or tripod of some kind instead of a wall mount.

I guess I will just have to try it and see how it goes. I can always sell them.

I’m fairly confident that I will make back my purchase price if they don’t work out, but I don’t really want to spend the next 2 months hawking projectors.

I will post results here for anyone who is interested.