Timed midi or osc commands

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Timed midi or osc commands

Post by DHoude »

I run multiple applications in my shows. I am looking for recommendations on apps that can trigger Midi or OSC events at specific times, based on the system time on my PC.

For example, I might have multiple phases of my show or countdown. I could start a clip at 5 min until midnight. Then another at the last 10 seconds. Then a countdown completion clip or something.

It would be great if this was external to Resolume so that it could trigger any app I am running, including Resolume. I figure something like this has to exist.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Timed midi or osc commands

Post by Arvol »

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks for the reminder! I knew I saw that somewhere. Just have to watch your tutorials.

I also made a mistake, it looks like 2 of the apps I am looking to control are Midi only (no OSC). I got your OSC to Midi translator too. So I have some studying to do. Unless there are any direct Midi trigger options?

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

Would QLab do both for you?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Qlab costs more but would be a great solution if you are running OSX. Vizer is another app for OSX. For MIDI translation look into Chataigne. It's free ;)
Last edited by Arvol on Mon Dec 28, 2020 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks guys, Windows here.. But Chataigne looks interesting. I am still going to give your apps a try Arvol. I will check out Chataigne though too.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Chataigne is like Bomes on steroids and free. Great support community on Discord as well. I mainly use TD for all my translations as I can customize a UI around my needs and also do math and logic on top, but if it's just a simple 1:1 conversion, Chataigne is the way to go IMO.
Bomes is great, and I still use it, but there's a LOT more work involved to get it setup.

BTW, I just updated the Gumroad Trigger files to also include a "Beta" in your Documents Trigger folder. This version has MIDI built in to keep down on the middleware. I haven't tested it but it should work "in theory... lol" MIDI in TD takes a bit of work to setup but I hope I did most of the heavy lifting to get it working.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

This is pretty amazing and a super fast turn around. Thank you! I have a working test, so this is very close.

I may not fully understand setting the Midi note in your app vs what Resolume receives. But just in case I found a bug, I set a "C3" note in Trigger, and when I triggered it for the Resolume midi map, Resolume said it was G9.
Trigger.png
Resolume.png

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

TD is a lot different than normal apps. "Like I said, it's a pain". I try to strictly use OSC with a few DMX implementations when I can.
They way TD structures MIDI is "ch" for the MIDI channel, followed by the channel number, followed by "n" for note or "c" for cc, followed by the note or cc number, so to get it working it will need to look like:
ch0n22 for a note, or ch0c22 for a cc on channel 0. Unfortunately TD doesn't use the normal C#3 formatting system. (Or if it does, I'm an idiot and have been using it all wrong these years lol)

I did all the formatting for you, you just need to find out what note or cc number your controller is sending out. You can use the MIDI input to press a button or turn a dial to see what TD see's that devices note or cc as. OR if this is just internal routing, set a note or cc and then press the "GO" button on the app and use Resolume's MIDI input monitor to see what it registers as and then map that note or cc to your Resolume's comp.

Again, a pain in the butt lol, which is why I try to avoid MIDI in TD at all costs. Would OSC not work?

I also believe Zoltan has a really cool OSC app as well.

Hoping this all makes sense?

Also be sure to use the MIDI setup button to setup your MIDI devices in and out in the Trigger app

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Got it, thank you! I have a Midi to Note number chart. My only observation is it looks to be shifted by 1.

Note# 19 should be "G0"
Reolume registers #19 as F#0 (which should be #18)
Note# 20 in Trigger, reads "G0" in Resolume

Hardly an issue and this is highly useable. Thank you for the hard work on it and the explanations!