Outputting Many Universes of Artnet

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Outputting Many Universes of Artnet

Post by rolandmc »

Hello everyone,

It looks like I'm going to be mapping out 96 full universes of RGBW LED, I've never used Resolume for that many Universes and am curious if anyone here has done so... Any issues staying synced up? Keeping playback smooth? This is for super low res video walls to give texture for a film shoot, so it's pretty crucial that everything stays silky smooth and in sync.

I will obviously be unicasting to each ArtNet decoder. PC has an i7, 32gb of RAM, RTX 2080 Super Max Q

Thank you in advance for your input.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Outputting Many Universes of Artnet

Post by Zoltán »

Smoothness and sync is quite dependent on the networking conditions.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by AcdNrg »

Also keep in mind some best practices regarding network setup. Things may run smoothly without these considerations, but it doesn´t hurt to implement at least some of them:

- Keep traffic in the DMX/artnet network to a minimum ie isolate it from the rest of your traffic.

- Use a dedicated NIC on your computer, or, if that´s not an option, move your artnet traffic to a dedicated VLAN (ie broadcast domain). In that BCD reduce BC traffic by disabling unnecessary services on that NIC.

- If you use PoE artnet decoders make sure that the voltage received allows for correct operation (been there, done that. I spent days troubleshooting and found that using direct power made the issues vanish).

- Take into account many artnet decoders still have 100Mbit instead of 1Gbit NICs. If you fiddle around with frame size (jumbo etc), make sure things are well supported on all components. Otherwise you may end up getting worse performance compared to standard ethernet frames.

- If there has to be wireless... oh well. :D

rolandmc
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by rolandmc »

Thank you,

Yes here's the setup:

- Dedicated network, only thing on it will be a lighting console outputting ArtNet to Resolume and Resolume outputting ArtNet to the decoders

- Everything will be unicast

- All gigabit switches (unmanaged)

- No POE

- No Wireless

Anything I'm missing?